stuck fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guscampag

Reaction score
I'm working on a gallon of chardonay i made from cncentrate. Started it a couple of months ago before I knew enough to start measuring sg and keeping records. Used some lalvin yeast. I think it was 71B-1122. It worked like crazy the first week or 2. Then it seemed to stop. About 1.010. I tried adding nutrient a few weeks ago and nothing happened. Last week I repitched with some Premier Cuvee yeast and a tsp of nutrient and moved it upstairs to a warmer place near the wood stove. I added a half tsp of energizer yesterday and still nothing. Still at 1.010 and tasting pretty sweet.

Would like to see some bubbles. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gus

I'd try to keep it at 70 degrees or a bit higher, and pitch a champagne yeast into it. Either Red Star Champagne yeast, or Lalvin EC-1118. Both of those are pretty good at restarting stuck fermentations, and have a good alcohol tolerance.

don't let it get hotter than 80's though. I would try heating it for a bit first, then if nothing then re-pitch. both of the yeasts that yooper recommends are great tough yeasts. however they might change your flavor profile slightly.

Thanks, I can try that. I don't have to worry about it getting hotter than 80 -- That's for sure! At least until next summer!
If I repitch again, will all the old yeast just settle down to the bottom until I rack? I actually did rack this stuff once, because, like I said, it was sorking like crazy at first.
Thanks.
Gus
I love the UP. I don't guess you have to worry about it getting over 80, either.

Thanks, I can try that. I don't have to worry about it getting hotter than 80 -- That's for sure! At least until next summer!
If I repitch again, will all the old yeast just settle down to the bottom until I rack? I actually did rack this stuff once, because, like I said, it was sorking like crazy at first.
Thanks.
Gus
I love the UP. I don't guess you have to worry about it getting over 80, either.

It got over 80 just last summer- well, the summer of 2007, anyway!

No, don't worry about any yeast already in there. They'll either get to work, or drop out. Either way, that will be fine.

Thanks.
Gus

nope! haha cooollllldd here. if you go above 80, your wine wont go into a black hole or something crazy. but you will get very very strong banana esters at 85deg or above if your wine totally ferments there ( a very strong banana flavor and nose) I have been fermenting at 65 or so. With my jurry rigged space heater to heat my carboys. I really like the silky body the low temps has given my apple cider.

The yeast will settle, if you add more though expect it to take longer to clear, or to use a clarification method IE: filtering or using a chemical such as sparkiloid, isninglass, KC etc. With more yeast, you will have more lees.

do not add anymore yeast nutrient if you planned on it. with the alcohol that you already have the yeast wont be able to take up the nutrient. also it might produce an enzyme that would no be good either.

many people have different fermentation temps. even at the wineries that I help at (3) they have three different methods for fermenting temps. some start hot, end cold, or start warm get hot, or stay hot the whole time, etc.

Back