First Partial Mash, Hefe weizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrewer83

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first partial mash. 3# wheat LME and 3# barley LME along with 1# of wheat grain. My "local" brew shop is 70 miles, so of course i forget the muslin sock i needed for the wheat grain. i improvised cheese cloth, worked quite well. OG 1.048. The wyeast packet i bought was different. You had to smack the packet open inside of it to provide nutrients to the yeast. I just hope the bubbler starts dancing tonight. I'm hoping for a smooth light yeast beer my friend and I can enjoy this summer. I was just wonder how the yeast will have an affect on the taste of the beer. I was just going to get normal ale yeast but instead went with the Bavarian wheat yeast that the recipe called for.

I used cheesecloth in mine 2 weeks ago.

My recipie was a bit different than yours, but I used the smack packet yeast as well. Bottled it yesterday and it smelled fantastic (and tasted that way too - for warm flat beer). I can't wait to drink it.

Remember that wheat DME is usually like 50% wheat... so, your "heffe" is just a little over 25% wheat from the looks of it... Heffe yeast will add alot of different flavors depending on the strain # and the temps. In my last heffe I used the WLP300 and it has a banana nose and a clove note at the end... pretty sweet yeasties.

Pol

yeah i added some extra wheat DME/Barley DME to it also. i think the yeast number was 3650? i know it was bavarian. the wyeast lab website has it on there. i came home today and the bubbler was dancing, about every 35 seconds! im stoked. yeah the cheese cloth worked great. i was reading about how to do All Grains. I know someone with a big ice chest they dont use. Little afraid i'll screw it up though. i know have the patience for it, but some things are still fuzzy. like about how to add a few quarts of hot water to the ice chest and then add the grains before you add the rest of the hot water. i'll read more.

Back