Top 5 Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Currently, in no particular order, and without giving it too much thought...

Samuel Smith Oatmeal Stout
Leffe Blonde
Troegs Troegenator
Chimay (any)
Betha's Best Bitter (Oliver's)

Also, anything in-your-face hop bomb. And I have a Rochefort Trappistes 10 with my name on it that I play to open over the holidays. Really hoping that one will shoot to the top of my list.

Can't nail down 5... but I can do top 5 in each category! Let's talk stout, since I've been on to stout lately. In no particular order...

1) Stone 12th Anniversary Bitter Chocolate...mmmmmmmmmmmm
2) Hales RIS
3) My Double-W RIS
4) Pelican Tsunami Stout (very smooth, lighter body)
5) Rogue Shakespeare stout
6) Sockeye Purple Haze (they don't bottle... visit Boise to try this one)
7) Grants Imperial Stout (sadly, it's been almost 15 years since my last one... they are no longer)

Oh, right, top 5... Oh well, maybe I can't list even top 5 in a category. As several have said before, it really depends on mood.

Oh, right, top 5... Oh well, maybe I can't list even top 5 in a category. As several have said before, it really depends on mood.

I would surely be able to do a top.... 50? But 5 is too hard. I always come back to Speedway Stout when I want a good big American beer, but after that, I could struggle for days trying to figure this out. A lot of the best beers I have had are one offs and specialties, and that's all well and good, but that list would just look sort of silly.

Hmmmmm this is a hard one

1) Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
2) Stone IPA
3) Sam Adams Boston Lager
4) Harpoon Summer Ale
5) Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale

I think I could do top 5 breweries...

Alesmith - Speedway, Wee Heavy, Nautical Nut Brown, IPA (seriously one of the best of style ever), andd both Yulesmith releases, not to mention the barrel aged series.

Russian River - Anything that ends in 'ation', with Temptation probably being my favorite, as well as Pliny the Elder being great as well.

Jolly Pumpkin - La Roja, Oro de Calabaza, Bam Biere, Bam Noire, Noel de Calabaza... Hell, everything they've done has been unique and interesting.

Cantillon - I don't think I am going to try to type names here. I'll just have to go the the internet to find things because they are all in a language I don't speak. I can do Lou Pepe and Iris, and Rose de Gambrinus, but I get lost after that.

And this is where I get stuck. How do I pick a 5th? Do I go Lost Abbey for their awesome barrel aged releases, or Stone because they have always been amazingly solid, or Ballast Point as my local homebrew store and most underrated brewery in SD... Or do I go for Rochefort simply because the 8 is one of my favorites?

Too hard!

Russian River Damnation, then Lagunitas La Freak
Firestone Walker Union Jack, then Green Flash West Coast IPA
Blind Pig, then Pliney
Duvel, then Chimay Blue
Alesmith Anvil, then Mac & Jacks African Amber

Ha - thats only 5

1) De Struise Earthmonk (Oud Bruin)
2) Rochefort 10 (Belgian quad)
3) Rodenbach (flanders red)
4) Piraat (triple IPA)
... picking up on a theme here??
5) Victory Hop Devil (IPA)... kind of weird to combine them with the above but I just really like it

1) De Struise Earthmonk (Oud Bruin)
2) Rochefort 10 (Belgian quad)
3) Rodenbach (flanders red)
4) Piraat (triple IPA)
... picking up on a theme here??
5) Victory Hop Devil (IPA)... kind of weird to combine them with the above but I just really like it

Have you had the De Struise Pannepot? Awesome.

Have you had the De Struise Pannepot? Awesome.

yup... three bottles of it sitting in my cooler right now. I'm not sure they make anything that's not awesome :rockin:

Out of my top five favorites, i have at least a couple bottles of each in my cooler right now except the Piraat... which isn't a problem because, for some reason, a random liquor store near my house actually stocks it so I can pick it up any time.

nope... time out... I lied... I'm out of Rochefort too.

I also have a six pack of St Barnabus Abt 12 in there... a bunch of random belgians... chimay, Duval, Corsendonk...

I've been on a slight belgian kick for about a year now.

1: Fullers London Pride (Hand squeezed off pint from a cask in London of course!)
2: Corsendonk Dark Abbey Ale
3: Paulalener Marzen
4: Samuel Adam's Octoberfest
5: Newcastle Brown Ale

Here's the top 5 at the moment I usually always end up picking up more of while looking for new brews to discover.

Hoegaarden
New Holland Dragon's Milk
Bells Oberon
Unibroue Maudite
Okocim Palone

God, this is a tough one. Let's see...

Great Divide Titan IPA
Thornbridge Kipling South Pacific Pale Ale
Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout
Chimay Rouge
Brew Dog Tokyo

Live Oak Hefeweizen
North Coast Red Seal
Russian River Pliny the Elder
Schneider Aventinus
Huyghe Delirium Tremens

Honorable mentions to Spaten Premium (draft), Fuller's 1845, and Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA.

Stone Runiation
RR Blind Pig
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (any year)
RR Damnation
Sierra Nevada Harvest Wet Hop

Wow, I do like non-hoppy beers too, but looking back at that list you'd never know! Variety is a spice of life, but having a few of these guys in the fridge at all times is a must.

I'd give my left nut for another Blind Pig though...mmmm. Damn you Russian River and your extreamly limited distribution!

My 5 favs that I can think of right now:

1.) New Belgium La Folie
2.) Chimay Blue
3.) Dogfish Head Midas Touch
4.) Früh Kölsch
5.) Dale's Pale Ale

Honorables: Bell's Three-Hearted Ale, Bell's Hop Slam, New Belgium Fat Tire, Fuller's London Pride, Brooklyn Lager, Bass Ale, Hoegaarden and Sierra Nevada Harvest Ale.

My top 5 (no particular order):

1) Old Rasputin
2) Old Chub
3) Two-Hearted (hard to find for me)
4) Arrogant Bastid
5) Rodenbach

Mine in particular order:

1: Rodenbach Grand Cru (Damn you importing wars!!!!)
2: Dutchesse de Bourgonge
3: Cantillon Grand Cru
4: Trumer Pils
5: Zywiec Porter (If you guys like porters try this one out)

Back