Hot Chocolate Stout: Recipe and Lessons Learned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrNate

Reaction score
A couple people asked me about my Hot Chocolate Stout recipe based on my label design, which leads me to believe either one of 2 things: Either it wasn't as crazy an idea as I thought it was, or people are easily duped by advertising. Suckers!

Anyway, here was my design concept and first crack at a recipe.

Concept: A Milk (Sweet) Stout flavored with chocolate, spices, and hot pepper so as to closely resemble Mexican-style spiced hot chocolate. It should not be perceived as bitter; hops should be used to bring balance to the malt sweetness, but the additional Lactose sweetness should be offset by the heat of the pepper. Cinnamon should be noticeable and even bordering on strong but not to the point of overpowering the sweetness nor chocolate. Mouthfeel should be smooth. When you drink a glass of this, you should know that you are drinking a beer and not a Yoo-Hoo, but the chocolate character should nonetheless be the dominant note.

Recipe:

Mashed at 153 for 1:20:
14# Maris Otter
1.2# Quick Oats
.75# Simpson's Med. Crystal
.75# Chocolate Malt
.5# Roasted Barley

Boiled for 60:
.5oz Horizon pellet (10.9%) @60
.5oz Magnum pellet (7.0%) @60
.5oz Fuggle plug (4.5%) @30

1# Lactose @15
8oz Hershey Cocoa Powder @15
1tsp Cinnamon @5
1/2tsp Allspice @5
1/4tsp Nutmeg @5
1/4tsp cloves @5
1 fresh-picked Tabasco pepper @5

Any fairly neutral yeast should work just fine for this recipe. I used Nottingham.

Lessons Learned:

1. Cocoa powder doesn't like to go into solution. There was 1 full gallon of sediment after 4 weeks of primary that was so thick it would clog my tubes.

2. At the same time, I believe a lot of the chocolate flavor comes directly from that cocoa powder, so I was kind of hesitant to leave it all behind. I sampled several times, and the mix was far from homogenous. Once it was in the bottling bucket, I gave it all a good stir before filling bottles. I would definitely serve this one as if it were a wheat beer.

3. Even the minimal amount of hops used seemed to be too dominant. I would cut out the Fuggle next time.

4. Even with a starting gravity of 1.100 and a finishing gravity of 1.030, the lactose sweetness did not come through quite enough. Reducing the hops might help, but I suspect it just needs more lactose.

5. The cinnamon was a bit lacking, but more importantly the hot pepper was not nearly assertive enough. I would do about 2-3 fresh Tabascos next time.

Priming Solution:
I used this to try to make up for some deficiencies. Boiled for 15 minutes:
3c Water
1/2c White table sugar (for priming)
1/3c Lactose
1/4 tsp Cinnamon @5
1/8 tsp "Ground Mexican Chiles" @5

Time will tell with this one, but I think the basic concept has a lot of potential. I will do some experiments with lagering some bottles to see if it's better clear or better cloudy. Comments are more than welcome, but don't be surprised if I ignore any derogatory ones. This recipe is now Open-Source. Enjoy! :mug:

you should consider steeping a full stick of cinnamon or 2 into the primary after fermentation while its settling out to get the added flavor your looking for. nI like the idea and i dont think its been done before atleast not that i have seen. personally for the hops schedule i would have cut out the fugels and the horizion and gone with 1 oz or maybe a hair less at 60 minutes....thanks for posting. i may try this one in the furure

With a stout, I would have foregone the flavor and aroma additions completely. Move the Fuggle to 60 minutes and have it as your bittering charge only.

The fuggle was there for bittering, not flavor. I was worried about it not having enough bitterness, so I put it in there to bump it up just a hair. Turned out to be a hair too much in my opinion, but I'll reserve judgement on that until I've tried a conditioned bottle or two.

Not to mention something like that is gonna need time in the bottles to come out. You can't expect the hops, cocoa powder, chile, and cinnamon to be blended well already. I have a chocolate hazelnut that's been in bottles since probably august, that are still not ready. 1.100 is a big beer and will need time before making any fair judgment and recipe changes.

Beer Alchemy has you coming in at 43 IBUs, slightly out of style for a sweet stout.

1.5 oz of Fuggle at 60 as the only hop will put you right at 30 IBUs- dead smack in the middle- so I'd adjust from there.

I just think those higher AA hops are out of place in this recipe, but YMMV.

I brewed a very similar recipe for a Chili Chocolate Porter w/ some differences. I was shooting for low IBUs (29) given the spices, peppers and cocoa.

Ingredients:
7.5 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
1.5 lb Chocolate Malt
.5 lb Brown Malt
.5 lb Caramel Malt 60L
8 oz Victory® Malt
8 oz Malto Dextrin
.5 oz Horizon (11.4%) - added during boil, boiled 59.0 min
.5 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 min
Chili Peppers - added during boil, boiled 15 min
Chocolate (dark) - steeped after boil
4 tablespoons Cocoa - steeped after boil
.5 tsp Cinnamon (ground) - steeped after boil
1 Vanilla (whole bean) - steeped after boil
.5 tsp Cloves (ground) - steeped after boil

I used about 6-8 whole dried chipolte and anaheim peppers, in the future I would dry pepper versus 15m kettle addition. I think that the heat influence is better, more forward versus starting in the back of your throat.

It took quite a good period of aging for this beer to really come together. The spices and pepper clashed for a while. This thing went from ok to horrid to fantastic over the period of several months. I wouldn't really want any more bitterness than where it is from hop additions.

Where do you estimate the IBUs to be? You just guesstimating?

No, what makes you think that?

It's in the mid 30s by my reconing.

If you're just looking for ways this recipe falls outside of the BJCP guidelines for a sweet stout, here's a few: Hot pepper, spice, cocoa powder, oatmeal, and OG. Take yer pick. :ban:

I used about 6-8 whole dried chipolte and anaheim peppers, in the future I would dry pepper versus 15m kettle addition. I think that the heat influence is better, more forward versus starting in the back of your throat.

I think you may be right. Next time I will probably do a blend, but determining how much pepper to use for the exact flavor profile you're shooting for is difficult. I tried back converting Scoville units, and I actually think that worked after a fashion when I think about it, since I was calculating towards the point of balance and I think I achieved just that.

At any rate, I figured it was better to err on the side of caution with the heat, since I didn't really want a "pepper beer", more a "spiced beer" with a touch of heat to the finish.

I am looking for a recipe like the ones described here. have you guys refined you recipes any more??

Not to bring it up again but how did this brew turn out (directed to OP)

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Ha. My bad... I just signed up here because of the post. Just looking into some specialty styles and curious to how it turned out. Bummer. I guess I will just make it and find out for myself!

Sent from my DROIDX using Home Brew Talk

Back