Mini kegerator or refrigerator kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottP80

Reaction score
I am going to start kegging my beer but I don't know which setup I should use. I can buy a used Danby kegerator with one tap, a 5 lbs CO2 bottle and pony keg for $350. (I might be able to talk them down a little.) I am sure I will have to convert the attachment to a ball or pin lock set up and buy 5 gallon kegs. (Not sure how much that will cost) My other option is to
buy buy a used refrigerator, the tap, lines, CO2 bottle and kegs.

Either way both would be in my garage. The mini would be nice if I moved to a smaller place. But with a refrigerator I could cold crash my brews.

In the long run I think having only one beer on tap would get old. I think I would prefer to have two taps. I know I can add another tap to the kegerator or buy two taps for a refrigerator.

With price, space, and portability in mind, what would y'all suggest?

I would get the full size fridge. You can add more taps as you get more involved in the hobby and it has the added benefit of having a place to store washed yeast, ingredients and hops.

Cheers!

Back