Rescuing grape vines

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jester5120

Reaction score
I'll start by saying i know almost nothing about how grapes grow and i've never made wine. Here's the deal tho, I moved into a house a few months ago that used to have grape vines growing wild through the back yard. The vines have been cut down and someone attempted to remove them. I see the vines starting to sprout up again and would like to get them growing again (but under control). My question is since the root system is apparently well developed is it at all likely that I can get them to produce a fair amount of fruit this season even though the vines are starting new?

I've got a similar situation, but i've only got two vines. They were completely out of control last year when we moved into the house and were completely covering a 50 foot length of fence, and super thick. I don't think they had been pruned for a few years. The grapes they produced were pretty bad, super weak, and most of them didn't get ripe. So i chopped them down to almost stumps after some research. It seems like they should have no problem whatsoever coming back, and i'll train the vines this time around, keep things neat and tidy, and hopefully get some grapes. Now that i've droned on about my situation, I don't think you'll get grapes this year. You should get shoots this year, and next year you should get clusters on the new growth. I could be wrong, but the plant will take this season to grow enough of a canopy to support making grapes, so read up on how to prune and take care of them for this season, and next year you should get something usable.

I know that when a winery plants new vines it takes 3-5 years to get grapes that go into the wine. I'm not sure if that's the case with what you've got in your yard, but take care of them, and see what comes out of it.

Here is a link to how your v ines shoult look after you prune them.
http://www.google.com/search?q="gra...3EoWQ2AXb1oSlCA&ved=0CE8QsAQ&biw=1093&bih=439

I have talked with several vineyards in the last few months and they seem to agree that you need to prune back to your main stalk with 2 branches coming out each side for a total of 4 branches. These 4 branches you trim back to 2 or 3 buds on each stem out of it. Keep all of your stems at the end of the branch.
The growth from the buds on the stems will produce your new cane's and these cane's will produce fruit the first year. One fellow told me a 5 year old vine should have 60+ inches of new growth a year.

The trunk and branches are actually called by a different name but I like to think of them in terms that we think of fruit trees.

After your fruit has started ripening you can cut back the leaf stems that has the clusters covered. The grape cluster needs sunlight after it has started ripeing to concentrate sugars in the grape for good wine production.

If they've been cut down to ground level it's possible that you could be growing rootstock which won't produce good wine grapes if any at all. Most decent wine grapes that I know of have to be grafted to disease resistant rootstock. Not really sure how you could tell without letting them grow and examining the leaves but I would'nt do too much with them until you can figure that out.

I'm not really planning on investing any time or money on these. I was just gonna give them something to grow on and hope for the best. I just want enough grapes to incorporate into a hybrid beer. If in years to come I can make a batch of wine that's even better

You probably won't get any fruit, or at least not much this year. But you can train them onto a trellis and probably get decent production next year. 3-5 years is for the root system to get established, these probably already have that, so they could produce good grapes next year. I don't know if you have muscadines up there but if they are growing wild then that might be what you have instead of grapes.

Back