Home Repair Q - AC having issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheesefood

Reaction score
Last week I cranked up the AC, but the place didn't cool down. I could feel air blowing through the vents, but not very strong nor was it cold. I went outside and I could hear the compressor running but the big fan on top wasn't turning.

Anyone have any DIY fixes before I call a repairman?

The big fan should be running whenever the compressor is on. I'd shut the power off, open the control box and check for bugs in the relays. If you can identify the leads for the fan motor and have a meter, you can check to see if the motor has an open circuit or is shorted.

Before you do that though, kill the breaker and stick your fingers (or a stick) in the fan grate and see if the fan turns freely. It might just be a seized fan. Could need new bearings. You could prolly do that yo' self.

What was the temperature outside when you ran the condensing unit? Some condensing units use a speed controller, or a fan cycling switch to control the condenser fan. The fan's operation is controlled by the discharge pressure in the condenser. This allows the unit to operate in lower ambient temperatures than a unit with a condenser fan that runs at full speed whenever the compressor runs.

johnsma22 said:
What was the temperature outside when you ran the condensing unit? Some condensing units use a speed controller, or a fan cycling switch to control the condenser fan. The fan's operation is controlled by the discharge pressure in the condenser. This allows the unit to operate in lower ambient temperatures than a unit with a condenser fan that runs at full speed whenever the compressor runs.

a guy at work had a similar problem and it was a low freon level, now sure how to check it???

Hey Cheese, I'm a licensed refrigeration tech. If you would like me to try and do some long distance troubleshooting I would be happy to talk you through it. Maybe it's something simple and I could save you a couple of bucks. Just PM me and we'll talk.

Latest posts

Back