Leaking keg at the lid... is it fixeable (keg's at fault)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wookiemofo

Reaction score
I picked up a used ball lock for free back when I got some other gear from this guy. Anyway, i just got around now to testing it (didn't have keg gear back then). The keg leaks at the lid, on one side. I noticed the keg itself is a little dented near the top on that side. Is this fixable? Or is worth just getting a new keg?

I would try lathering the lid o-ring in keg lube and seeing if it seals.

Two other options if the keg still leaks after using copious amounts of keg lube. You can a) try to bend the lid area with some pliers, or b) bend the legs on the lid so that it forms a tighter seal.

I sort of thought of that. I swapped lids with one I knew sealed, and just to double check tried the seal from the leaky keg on another one. The leak comes from the side and is enough that I can feel to air moving.

I red to maybe bend the legs or try dimes...

Pic(s) would help. Meaning, how big is the dent? Another tactic is to boil the lid / ring to get it soft (and sanitize). This will help it conform to the opening of the keg after pressure is applied.

phototgt.jpg

photo2ki.jpg

photo1tkt.jpg

the last shot shows the post on the undented side for comparison

use keg lube
put a dime under the lid locking posts.
pressure up to 30+ psi to ensure a good seal.
????????
Profit.

-=Jason=-

Back