Wine Fridge = Corny Keg Fermentation Chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JetSmooth

Reaction score
So, I am moving toward fermenting directly in corny kegs and have been thinking of building a Son Of Fermentation Chiller sized down to be more narrow and fit a corny. I am also hunting for friedges to turn into a fermentation chamber, which I know would be more expensive, but probably better in the long run.

Then I stumbled upon this.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001NQJEMA

I can't tell from the dimensions whether a ball lock corny would fit in here. But it looks like it might and be tight. The bonus is the integrated digital thermostat. I may only be able to get one in here, but that'd be fine with me. I would just have to buy a second one later once I build up my pipeline progress.

There are 18 bottle models and others by other manufacturers if you look around. This one's just an example.

This is the sort of thing I could get my wife to agree to having out in the open in the basement, giving me access to check and tweak the temerature as neccessary.

So, tell me why this won't work. :D

I use a wine fridge for my lager fermenter, but it uses a standard compressor. I had to replace the temp control with a love since it wouldn't get to lager or cold crash temp range and it needed a heat pad.

This one, not sure about since it uses a peltier cooling system. The upside of peltier is that it can be both a heater and a cooler. With the right electronic mods it could keep temps stable. I'm just not sure it has the cooling power to do the job.

Back