Do monks posses a time machine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axp

Reaction score
Hi All.

It seems to me that Belgian monks are in possession of a time machine. Why is it that they can produce a world class beer in much less time than I can produce a mediocre one?

According to BLAM Chimay primary ferment for 4 days, secondary (at 0C) for 3 days. Rochfort primary for 7 days, secondary for 3 days and bottle condition for 10 days.
If I did this my beer would taste like crap.

For me to achieve a decent dubble I primary for 2 weeks, secondary for 2 months and then bottle condition for at least a month. Why is it that the monks' process is much faster?

They're likely using a much larger amount of yeast than you, they're likely fermenting warmer and they're likely bottle conditioning warmer.

I recently bottled a batch of normal gravity beer (around 1.050) and put into a warm fridge at 73 and it was already ready to drink in one week. It worked for me on that one beer so far. It's actually carbonated well, doesn't foam over and has a nice, smooth flavor. Not saying that will work with every beer, of course. But I had beers taking a lot longer when they were at 70 and under. I'll see how this fares on future beers.

JUST bottled a 1.072 X-Mas Ale, so will see how it fares with a higher gravity beer where more of the yeast has dropped (primary 21 days, secondary 25 days).

I believe it has everything to do with the process. I was listening to a podcast with Adam Avery (of Avery Brewery in Colorado), known for his big beers. He mentioned that fermentation should be fully done by the end of a week. In order to do this, he suggested a ton of yeast; way more than homebrewers normally use. He also said that big beers require the introduction of sugars at different points during fermentation in order to avoid a hot taste. This is because the yeast will have already created alcohol and are looking for more food; when it's all introduced early on, they create the hot-flavored alcohols because they are in a yeast orgy.

For us home brewers, I tend to think the brewing of big beers is more difficult because we do not generally have the equipment necessary to do it in the same way as a Belgian monk or a professional brewery. (Just a guess.) Therefore, that's why we have to make do with the method you describe.

Pitching rate (verified by cell count) is the single biggest factor, in my estimation. From my vantage point, many homebrewers are guilty of underpitching by a sizeable margin.

I believe it has everything to do with the process. I was listening to a podcast with Adam Avery (of Avery Brewery in Colorado), known for his big beers. He mentioned that fermentation should be fully done by the end of a week. In order to do this, he suggested a ton of yeast; way more than homebrewers normally use. He also said that big beers require the introduction of sugars at different points during fermentation in order to avoid a hot taste. This is because the yeast will have already created alcohol and are looking for more food; when it's all introduced early on, they create the hot-flavored alcohols because they are in a yeast orgy.

For us home brewers, I tend to think the brewing of big beers is more difficult because we do not generally have the equipment necessary to do it in the same way as a Belgian monk or a professional brewery. (Just a guess.) Therefore, that's why we have to make do with the method you describe.

I don't think this sugar addition during fermentation explains the Belgians though. From what I recall from reading Brew Like A Monk, they don't do this. They add the sugar in the kettle. Going from memory here though.

I too thought they added the candi syrup to the kettle. I calculate how much yeast using Mr Malty and it seems to be in rough agreement with the quoted pitching rates in BLAM.

My main question is how they avoid the hot alcohol falvours in such a short, relatively hot fermentation. If I did fermentations at that temp it would taste like rocket fuel

I too thought they added the candi syrup to the kettle. I calculate how much yeast using Mr Malty and it seems to be in rough agreement with the quoted pitching rates in BLAM.

My main question is how they avoid the hot alcohol falvours in such a short, relatively hot fermentation. If I did fermentations at that temp it would taste like rocket fuel

They pitch in the 60s and start their fermentation low like that, allowing it to warm on its own. I think those hot alcohols are produced at the beginning of the fermentation.

Back