Need help with a diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blugrazz

Reaction score
For my third brew, I tried a Bohemiam Pilsner with WLP833 yeast (the Czech Budvar yeast). I pitched my yeast on 4/7 at room temps and did not see any activity for 24 hours. Woke up on 4/9 (32 hours from pitching) with some blow off and moved the fermenter from room temps to a fridge where I manually controlled temps between 50-55. It sat in the fridge till 4/11 when it reached 75% of its final gravity. I pulled it from the fridge and let ambient night temperatures bring it slowly up and then moved it inside the house for a diacytal rest. Well its almost a week now and the diacytal is still present. All the online discussions suggested the rest would only last 2-3 days. I have attempted to stir up the yeast to promote clean up but I think the yeast are exhausted at this point.

My concern is if the diacytal will ever clear up now. It is less pronunced but still evident in taste. What should I do? My next steps are to rack to a secondary, lager, and dry hop but want some guidance if I should not move to these next steps before doing something else.

I would give it some more time at room temp. Most likely the yeast is just dormant. Ageing also reduces the perception of yeast byproducts. It might be going wierd because of all the moving back and fourth through different temp ranges and ambient light brightness..

My confidence is low in diagnosing diacyetal. It tastes butterscotchy but sometimes that doesn’t taste all that bad. I think I will try the hot/cold test at this point because I have stashed away in the fridge my taste tests so that I can taste what it tasted like last before tasting the next test. You follow. And what I have noticed is that the tests all taste worse when cooled after a day.

Just to be clear, hot/cold test is when you heat one sample to 140*F for 30-60 min with a tight cover on. After that sample has cooled, you taste both samples side-by-side and see if you can taste/smell butter (diacetyl).

http://beerme.com/diacetyl.php <-- at the end of the page.

Chalk another up to patience. A couple weeks in the bottle seemed to clear up my taste concerns on this bohemian pilsner. Surprising that time cures all ills.

Latest posts

Back