wort chiller question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

payton34

Reaction score
I am getting ready to make a chiller and wanted some advice. I plan on buying a 50 foot coil of half in. od copper tubing. should i make one 50 footer or 2 twenty five footers and put them together. one in the wort and one in a cooler full of ice.

If you plan on recirculating the water, then you should build the two separate chillers. If you are just running the water through it once from a hose, I would just build one larger chiller for simplicity.

thanks for the help I didnt know if the wort would chill faster with two small onesor the one large one. just cut the top out of a keg . have not done an all grain batch yet. once i get the chiller done and a fitting in the keg I will be ready .

Make two!

Even if your not recirculating it's well worth it.

I set it up and wait til I'm down to ~120* and then put the pre-chiller in the ice. Especially if your doing 5 gallon batches. I get down from boil to 65* in 17 min using this method with the exact setup you are describing.

In MI your tap water is going to be freaking cold, 50 in a single coil = win. Mine cools from a boil in 8 minutes in the winter and 12 in the summer. I added a ball valve to the inlet side so I could adjust the flow rate

the water here is pretty cold. I don't think I will be doing ten gallon batches so i didnt know if fifty feet would be too large for the 5 gallon batches

Back