New to the Site and to the Experience - SE Texas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gonzo1974

Reaction score
Found this site Saturday afternoon... after watching Beer Wars decided I wanted to learn more about brewing... So, here I am.

I wanted to ease into this experience, so I looked at reviews for single stage extract kits such as Mr. Beer and Coopers... watched some YouTube videos... read instruction manuals... so I decided on the Coopers kit. It should be here Friday.

Now, here is a situation/question I hope someone can assist with so I can get a jump on the process -- I have read about using a Better Bottle Carboy as secondary fermenter. Now, if I run a tube from the Cooper's spout into the BB Carboy (via the adaptor), it should make the transfer with minimal exposure to bugs. What size tubing is required from the Cooper's Spout to the BB Carboy adapter (on the 6gal version)? Also, will the 'little bottler' supplier with the Cooper's kit fit the BB spout? Is secondary fermentation a step that would justify the cost of the carboy at this point? I think it makes sense to free up the primary to start another batch a week before the secondary is ready to bottle. I'll stop rambling now.

Thanks in advance for any information and thanks to all who have posted this vast amount of information on the boards.
Trini

I don't think you should rush the beer out of the primary just to make room for another batch. It should be left in there until it's done fermenting, as indicated by hydrometer readings. I think with the Coopers kit you bottle directly out of the fermenter and add carbonation drops? Personally I'd just brew a couple batches as they instruct. You may (and very likely will) decide that you want to upgrade your equipment, and at that point you can buy the carboy as part of a whole kit which will save you money. Plus it keeps the process simpler for your first brew.

So basically I'd keep the Coopers and upgraded equipment (carboys, bottling bucket) separate for now, but be ready to trade up soon.

Billy,
Thanks for the info. Will sanitize and follow the kit to the letter and see how it goes.

Trini

Ok, then. Got home tonight and my kit was on the front porch.

I unpacked the contents and started the sanitizing process and getting the extract warmed up for easier pour. I re-visited the DVD that came with it and put away the bottling supplies until next week.

Sanitizing complete, I rinsed everything off real well and mixed the contents of the extract, 1kg of sugar and 2L of hot water into the fermenter. Smelled really good. I completed filling up the fermenter with 2L of cold tap water. I wanted to see if there was a discernible difference, so I plan to use bottled water next time with the same type of extract (Cooper's Lager).

Anyway, filled up to 23L, attached the thermometer and took a hydrometer reading. 1040 was the OG reading. Pitched the yeast into the frothy mix, sealed the lid and added the air lock.

Overall, I would say a pretty straightforward process. Perhaps an hour and fifteen minutes from start to finish. I was dreading the sanitizing process and will seek out a no-rinse sanitizer for next time as well. I tasted the extract syrup - wow. Incredibly sweet with a very bitter aftertaste. Looking forward to the bubbling action in the morning.

Found this site Saturday afternoon... after watching Beer Wars decided I wanted to learn more about brewing... So, here I am.
Trini

hahaha.. that is what made me want to get back into it. After watching beer wars, I felt dirty for having budweiser in the fridge. I wanted to throw it away. I hope beer wars has the same affect on more Americans.

Back