My kegged kolsch tastes like water ... My falconers flight tastes like heaven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jph2275

Reaction score
I am frustrated right now :(

I fermented a kolsch and a falconers flight ipa for 3 weeks each. I cold crashed the kolsch for an additional week and let the falconers flight sit in my swamp cooler.

Kegged both Saturday .. At 30 psi with shaking

Tasted today ...

The FF is soooo delicious and carbonated and wonderful. The kolsch is aromatic and somewhat carbonated, but tastes "watery." It is very light and just doesn't have much taste.

All brews were normal, 5 gallon mini mashes. Kegged Saturday morning at 30 psi and than brought down at 8 psi tonight.

Thoughts? Are kolsche typically flat/watery tasting until carbed or did I screw up somewhere?

Pat

Have you brewed the Kolsch recipe before?

It is a very light beer. Carbonation and a 1.5 months aging are good for Kolsch.

No I haven't ever done a kolsch before. Honestly I had no idea what a kolsch would taste like before I purchased the ingredients. This was a kit from Austin homebrew supply ... Here is the link

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10207

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lb Base Grains, .75 lb Specialty Grains

It has been force carbing at 30 psi from Saturday morning to yesterday night ... Roughly 60 hours ... Then I dropped to 8 psi.

Another consideration ... I forgot to add the DME until after I pitched my yeast and had to boil it separately/cool/add afterwards. I added the cooled DME about twenty minutes after I pitched the yeast and did my best to mix it thoroughly. No layering, had a nice normal fermentation.

No I haven't ever done a kolsch before. Honestly I had no idea what a kolsch would taste like before I purchased the ingredients. This was a kit from Austin homebrew supply ... Here is the link

http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=10207

Mini-Mash - Liquid: 5 lb Liquid Malt Extract, 2.5 lb Base Grains, .75 lb Specialty Grains

It has been force carbing at 30 psi from Saturday morning to yesterday night ... Roughly 60 hours ... Then I dropped to 8 psi.

Another consideration ... I forgot to add the DME until after I pitched my yeast and had to boil it separately/cool/add afterwards. I added the cooled DME about twenty minutes after I pitched the yeast and did my best to mix it thoroughly. No layering, had a nice normal fermentation.

It'll come together. Setting it at 30 psi means it will have an acidic "bite" to it that needs to mellow and the body will be spritzy. It'll get better sitting at 10 psi (or whatever your fridge requirements make the regulator need) for a couple of weeks to equalize.

Did you use a lot of extra water to boil the dme?

crystal hops are pretty mellow. The carapils and wheat aren't gonna lend much flavor either. Should be similar to Bud light when it's done carbing.

Back