Noob Q: foam during fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hellolady

Reaction score
We've made beer only few times, and the first few times it came out great. Then the last two times I pour the wort into the fermenter, add the yeast, and then the next day there is foam on top. I don't remember there being any foam on top the first couple of times.

Question 1: Is it normal to have foam (like soap bubbles) on top of the beer during the fermentation process?

Let me give you more details. We're using the Mr Beer brewing keg.

The first time we had the problem we used the West Coast Pale Ale that came with the Mr Beer brewing kit. We bought this kit off of Craigslist and the box looked a bit old, so I wondered if the yeast would still be good. After 3 days the yeast didn't seem to be working and the top of the beer was covered in foam (like soap bubbles). I ended up dumping out the batch. (sigh)

Question 2: Is there anything we could have done to save this batch?

Question 3: Can you substitute baking yeast for brewing yeast in a pinch? (This happened over a long weekend and the brewing store was closed.) It looks like both are the same species of yeast: Saccharomyces cerevisiae.

The second time we had the problem we used a Famous Irish Style Stout kit. I followed the directions exactly and the yeast seemed to be working at first. Then today the beer has foam (soap like bubbles) all over it, just like the previous batch that I thought was bad.

Question 4: Do I need to throw out this batch of beer too? (sniffle, sniffle)

Please help me save the beer!
Thanks.

Question 1: It's called krausen. It was probably present in all your brews but you just didn't notice. Perfectly normal.

Question 2: You could have poured it into bottles and capped it. That would have saved it.

Question 3: Do not substitute baker's yeast for brewer's yeast. They are not the same thing. Brewer's yeast is cleaner and presents a flavour profile in your finished beer. You should actually select the proper brewer's yeast for the type of beer you are brewing. Some use nothing but a dry yeast such as Nottingham's with good success but many of us buy both dry and liquid yeast as the occassion demands. No beer will do well with baker's yeast.

Question 4: Taste it. If it's really off you'll know. If it just looks like crap carry on as if there isn't anything wrong. If you're not sure, keep going. Beer often looks terrible while fermenting but turns out just fine. Never dump a batch unless you've tasted it well into fermentation and it's obviously bad.

Using baker's yeast instead of brewer's yeast is a little like expecting a toy poodle to herd cattle. It's a dog, but ...

Just buy a few packets of Nottingham and keep them in the fridge. They're good for years.

baker's yeast is not kept anywhere near as pure as brewer's yeast.

i've done some mead with baker's yeast...sure it works, but it doesn't give optimal results.

I'm one of those "do it right or don't bother doing it" kind of people. I keep a variety of dry yeast on hand so I don't get stuck in a bind.

Please help! I made up a batch of home brew (lager) last night but it has not started to ferment i added the yeast that come with it but nothing happened. I think i may have added to much hot water at the start and its destroyed the yeast. (I read boiling it was good because it gets rid of the chlorine) So i went out and got some dried active yeast for baking as I was going to use that. I couldn't get the brewers yeast from the place i got my home kit they only sell wine yeast could i use that as an alternative? Also how long is my "brew" good for till it goes off or turns bad its in a warm place for now. (Its my second time at making beer the first time i had no bother)-

Carlos

If you brewed last night, there is no reason to suspect it should be actively fermenting by now, not enough time has passed to start worrying. DO NOT add the baking yeast. After 72 hours, if no fermentation has occurred (based on hydrometer readings, NOT airlock activity), then there may be something wrong, post back at that point for further counsel.

I think i may have added to much hot water at the start and its destroyed the yeast. (I read boiling it was good because it gets rid of the chlorine)

What exactly do you mean? Did you boil your yeast? Did you add hot water (how hot?) to your wort with your yeast already pitched? Usually, generally accepted practice is to cool your wort down to about 75F (preferably cooler IMO) before adding your yeast, is that what you did?

If you brewed last night, there is no reason to suspect it should be actively fermenting by now, not enough time has passed to start worrying. DO NOT add the baking yeast. After 72 hours, if no fermentation has occurred (based on hydrometer readings, NOT airlock activity), then there may be something wrong, post back at that point for further counsel.

What exactly do you mean? Did you boil your yeast? Did you add hot water (how hot?) to your wort with your yeast already pitched? Usually, generally accepted practice is to cool your wort down to about 75F (preferably cooler IMO) before adding your yeast, is that what you did?

No I didn't boil the yeast, the water I boiled as it gets rid of the chlorine but also removes the oxygen. To replace this you got to stir it well at the mixing stage I also poured it between 2 sterilized containers (the mixing bin and the fermentation barrel). I put the yeast into the mixed wort and water i wasnt sure what temperature it was I added some cold water at this stage too.

I'm going to start a fresh batch tomorrow would I be able to increase the alcohol volume content by adding 150-200 grams of malt barley syrup extract or add extra white cane sugar over the standard 1KG to a regular 40 pint home making kit? Would i need to add extra yeast other than what comes with the kit? I think the standard final volume for the kit I'm using (Young's Brew) is 4.5% but I'm looking to increase this to between 5-6% whats best way forward?

Thanks in advance-

Carlos

i am primary fermenting in a 5gal keg for the first time. i do not have a air valve for the keg. so, i used a gas connector with picnic tap to burp and left it attached this morning by accident. during the day it built up enough pressure to pop the picnic tap off the hose. spraying a 10 foot radius with krausen. this is within the first 36 hours of brewing. i then replaced the picnic tap with air valve and its bubbling away. will losing the krausen ruin the finished beer?

Latest posts

Back