Are these good prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tom is a good guy, but yes hes expensive. You can find used cornies for about 25 each, and a good tank for ~100 bucks or so. regs are real cheap too.

I think you're better off putting together your own kit.

Call around to welding shops and see what price you can get on CO2 tanks.
Look around on eBay and you can probably find kegs for under $20 each WITH shipping. Mine even came with some gas-in ball locks.

Check Craigslist frequently.

Thanks for the responses.
I check craigslist almost daily, but have never seen any kegging related products in my area.
I guess I will look into putting one together my self. I will check out the local welding shops and my LHBS sells used kegs. Do welding shops sell the regulators also?

ripley said:
Thanks for the responses.
I check craigslist almost daily, but have never seen any kegging related products in my area.
I guess I will look into putting one together my self. I will check out the local welding shops and my LHBS sells used kegs. Do welding shops sell the regulators also?

Are you looking for a single or double valve regulator?

The benefits of using a double regulator is that you can have two different tanks at different psi. Watch out though, you can buy a regulator that has two (or more) outputs for multiple kegs and one psi gauge. This means that you can have as many kegs as o2 outputs but they will all have the same psi being delivered. Then there is the multiple gauge set up. This means you have a gauge for each output (1-2-3- etc) and each output can have its own adjustment. This means that (hypothetically) if you carbonate at 20psi, you can also serve another keg at a much lower psi. I wish I went this route in the beginning. This way if one brew takes longer to carb or you just want it to age more than another, you can drink one and let another sit. Or you could just let them all sit at serving psi if you want to save money and get the single regulator setup.

don't buy your regulator at the welding supply shop.

honestly, the reason why is because they are better than what you need. the good welding supply shops only sell dual stage regulators, which is more than what we need, but what a welder would need in order to make good welds or cuts. we only need/use single stage regulators. don't let this be confused with dual gauge regulators though (a tank pressure gauge and a regulated low pressure gauge).

you can get a new co2 regulator cheap enough direct from micromatic, or find used ones on ebay.

echoing what others have said, try to get the co2 tank used and in test (five year test). the reason being that most welding supply shops will just swap your empty tank with a filled tank that is definitely used. this means you lose your shiny new tank. also, tanks can be found significantly cheaper used than purchasing from the welding supply shop or new online.

if you can't find any used, i believe beveragefactory has new tanks for pretty cheap.

i've dealt with tom on many occasions, and he is an excellent seller. you pay for the convenience of having it all together for you. i find it more fun to find the parts and do stuff myself if it is more economical to do so (sometimes it isn't!).

my suggestion to you is to buy rolls of tubing if you can afford it. i wish i did. at first i thought just buying what i needed would be good, but then i had to keep going back to the LHBS to get more tubing, more fittings, etc. buy in bulk now if you can to save yourself the hassle, especially if buying in bulk cuts down the cost per unit.

Back