Double Pitching

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Firstnten

Reaction score
Is it really necessary for higher gravity beers? I'm thinking of getting the AHS Beglian noel and Dog fish 60 min. Both suggest double pitching. An additional 14 bucks in the end...

What yeast is it? A pack of dry yeast is as good (or better) as a starter. If one will suffice you could use one and save money and time.

white labs english for the dog fish but they say you can use fermentis safale dry

white labs belgian gold ale for the Noel but they also have a dry alternative.

I wouldn't use a dry yeast for a Belgian. Ester profiles are the key to Belgians and although you can get esters by fermenting at the high end of a dry yeast's temperature you never know exactly what you'll get.

I wouldn't use a dry yeast for a Belgian. Ester profiles are the key to Belgians and although you can get esters by fermenting at the high end of a dry yeast's temperature you never know exactly what you'll get.

IMO beer pitched with suspended, liquid, yeast for some reason always tastes better, maybe just my imagination, or the different style of beer.

Just moved my 90-minute clone to the secondary, clocked in at 10.5% and I only pitched once. Did use a yeast starter, though

Another way to do it is to brew something else with the yeast that's lower in alcohol, then pitch your big beer with the slurry from the first one. Then, instead of two packs of yeast for one batch of beer, you get two batches of beer from one pack of yeast!

Back