Oxydation of HERMS mash - inlet tubing/manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to construct my first HERMS

I was reading this:

You probably have a small beverage cooler already that would work well with a drop-in manifold like that shown with the rectangular cooler in Appendix D. One advantage to using a manifold, versus pouring the mash into a strainer, is that you avoid aerating the wort while it is hot. As was discussed in Chapter 6 - Yeast, and Chapter 8 - Fermentation, oxidation of hot wort at any time will lead to flavor stability problems in the beer later.

Source: PALMER - how to brew: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html

I imagine that by circulating the mash, more of the liquid would come in contact with the air. I was wondering what kind of inlet manifold for the returning hot mash I would use to minimize oxidation.

Thanks,

Kind regards,
Marius Jonsson

It's usually either a piece of hose that sits on top of the grainbed, UNDER the wort level or a manifold of some sort that does the same. You don't splash it back in from any kind of height.

Back