"Real" Lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My local has started selling "Real Lager"
For those who don't know what I mean by "Real" do a search on Camra, Real Ale or cask Ale.

I tried a pint today and it was fine. The local has 6 pumps and a few taps. The taps serving the BMC type swill. There's a few regulars who sit at the end of the bar every day and consume the swill until they stagger home. I went in today at 1pm so they where still sober. I took the opportunity to ask them if they'd tried the good stuff and to their credit they had. I asked them how was it....
There answer......
"It's not cold enough........"

Well more "Real" Ale for Orfy then.......
For any one reading this that thinks "What the hell is he going on about", you need to come to the UK and drink some proper beer. :mug:

What's the matter lager boy, afraid you might taste something?

:drunk:

lol,
im guessin what your gettin at is that beer becomes a bit tasteless when too cold?

well if that is what ur on about, then i agree... :p

IMO each beer has flavor. It's just in some brews such as BMC type lagers that when served cold you need to "look" for the flavor instead of having it "jump out" at you like an ale at proper serving temps would.

I usually drink beer 50 degrees F or warmer, unless it's BMC. Then it must be ice cold to cover up the taste.

Haven't run across a real lager yet. Many brewpubs in Oregon have a beer engine or two and once in a while you'll see gravity-casks, but always ales. And most often red ales at that.

I guess its likely to be a Pilsner style.

They are running with it and they're getting through a cask in a day and half but it's the Ale drinkers drinking it. The Lager boys are afraid of it.

It's "cask lager", not "real lager". We must annihilate that term, "real", from the collective zeitgeist, for it implies that beers that are NOT served from a cask at room temp are in some way "fake", which is absurdity at its highest. Cask lager. Cask.

:p

Back