Solder Flange of element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burbelly

Reaction score
Is it possible to solder to the flange of the element directly? Does anyone know what metal/alloy it is?

I'm not sure if you can. However, why would you want to? It then becomes rather permanent if you need to change it out in the future.

I see. What about mounting a SS, straight thread nut. This would also allow you to remove the element to change it out at some point instead of it tying up your tri clamp if it fails.

As far as soldering the element I don't know. I don't know the internals of them or what heat they can tolerate.

This would give me the shortest package for a pseudo airlock configuration that would allow me to disconnect the power leads, put on a tri clamp cap, and remove the element while the vessel is full.

triclampeementmount.png

How are you going to disconnect the clamp at the bottom of the vessel with boiling wort in there? In the context of the trouble you'll go through, I don't think whirlpooling is worth it. I also think it's dangerous to disassemble the potentially live wiring as a part of the brewing process.

A rod with a hook can be slipped into the clamp knob that is upright and spun off. As to the danger, by the time I'm whirlpooling, I'm done with the heat and disconnect it. As with any electrical system, there are inherent risks. One would not start servicing an electrical outlet with the breaker on. I certainly would not undo the connections while the cord is plugged in to the control panel. As to the worth of whirlpooling, that's a matter of personal preference. I would like to have that capability for the cost of a couple extra pieces.

Whirlpooling works fine with an element. I just used my new E-Kettle saturday and had a nice cone after whirlpooling into the same vessel.

Back