keg your brew!! cheap and easy!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becon776

Reaction score
so at a recent trip to beers of the world... I happened upon this

and I immediately thought omg i want to reuse this. after doing some searching i found that it's possible and i bought it. Now you have to choke thru 1.5 gallons of coors... ugh.... the owmbo was wanting to know why I am drinking so much beer on a tuesday night.. hahahah. after a couple of buddies came over and we made short work of the coors. I just simply use vice grips to slowly turn the co2 part the opposite way that they want you to turn it. screwed off the top of it, filled it with cider, put a new 16 gram co2 in (2 bucks at brew store) and turned it. VOILA!! my cider is now kegged and pressurized for 20 bucks. it took five minutes. absolutely absolutely AWESOME!! everyone must get one of these. really just look at it as a 20 dollar home keg kit that comes with crappy beer for first use. can't say enough good things about this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would have poured the Coors in the local sewage pond and watched the Carp go belly up :) Nice find otherwise

yeah not gonna lie... drank about half on my own then my buddy came over and we each tried to hurry up and slam the other half. like two kids in a toy store the other half including our two pints was fed to my sink. I'm tellin you though, i cannot say enough good things about this. went thru the first 1.5 gallon of cider last night. i gotta stop though. the owmbo is not liking this. but i mean give a guy a break my first ten gallons of cider just finished secondary! I had to test it to see if i had actually made alcohol! then last night I had to test the keg out to see if it stayed pressurized from top to bottom.. it's just good science! hahaha

i hope more people get this toy and figure out ways of perfecting its use. Like whether to prime it or if carbonation increases if left sit for a bit. lots of questions and possibilities for this lil contraption.

so at a recent trip to beers of the world... I happened upon this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6zf29iUjN4

and I immediately thought omg i want to reuse this. after doing some searching i found that it's possible and i bought it. Now you have to choke thru 1.5 gallons of coors... ugh.... the owmbo was wanting to know why I am drinking so much beer on a tuesday night.. hahahah. after a couple of buddies came over and we made short work of the coors. I just simply use vice grips to slowly turn the co2 part the opposite way that they want you to turn it. screwed off the top of it, filled it with cider, put a new 16 gram co2 in (2 bucks at brew store) and turned it. VOILA!! my cider is now kegged and pressurized for 20 bucks. it took five minutes. absolutely absolutely AWESOME!! everyone must get one of these. really just look at it as a 20 dollar home keg kit that comes with crappy beer for first use. can't say enough good things about this.

I have re-used one of these. I didn't have a issue with the co2 cartridge, however I've read some folks get leaks.

I was intending to buy several of these to have around. My wife bought me a Tap-a-Draft system. That only cost $60 or $65 delivered from westernbrewer supplys I think. I kept the coors light keg thing around, but using my TAD now.

i had never heard of tapadraft system so thanks for that link. yeah it looks pretty identical to the coors keg system except 2x8 gram co2 v.s. 1x 16 gram co2... I had no issues changing co2 and reusing.

The tapadraft info is cool because they are giving some guidelines about priming which i think would work perfect in the coors.
For me, the coors is the way to go bc owmbo hates custom brews and will not even sip them. She is a coors light, bmc beer drinker... plus younger bro is in the beer pong cheap beer age bracket so trying to encourage both of them to get these.

i had never heard of tapadraft system so thanks for that link. yeah it looks pretty identical to the coors keg system except 2x8 gram co2 v.s. 1x 16 gram co2... I had no issues changing co2 and reusing.

The tapadraft info is cool because they are giving some guidelines about priming which i think would work perfect in the coors.
For me, the coors is the way to go bc owmbo hates custom brews and will not even sip them. She is a coors light, bmc beer drinker... plus younger bro is in the beer pong cheap beer age bracket so trying to encourage both of them to get these.

You can get additional bottles and caps for around 6 bucks a piece. You can put your cider or beer in the bottle and prime it and cap it so it will naturally carbonate.

You can also use nitrogen cartridges if you have a nice guiness clone too :)

Love mine.

Tapadraft bottles annoy me because they have rounded bottoms which requires three hands to fill them with beer. Also, it's a pain in the ass to find 8g Co2 cartridges locally.

Tapadraft bottles annoy me because they have rounded bottoms which requires three hands to fill them with beer. Also, it's a pain in the ass to find 8g Co2 cartridges locally.

Mine are not round on the bottom. They have 4 little bumps on the bottom like feet. No issues filling.

I got mine off the HBT classifieds... older model. No feet. Rounded. I hope you can imagine my pain.

Regarding the co2, I haven't found them locally either at the moment. I thought I saw them at sears, but cant find them now.

You can get a 100 of them for 30 or 35 bucks on amazon or some of the other supply outlets online.

I got mine off the HBT classifieds... older model. No feet. Rounded. I hope you can imagine my pain.

Fletch, If I had the round bottoms I wouldn't have liked it as much as you describe. I guess you could make a little holder for the bottles?

Sure is nice though to have a cold tasty draft available anytime. I do have a standup freezer in the basement, but I have to get a external temperature controller so I can convert it to a fridge. I'll have all my bottles in there with the Tap-a-draft. I'll also then be able to lager.

has anyone used a system like this one
http://www.brouwmarkt.nl/catalog/startset-mini-drukvaatjes-beer-king-2000-p-1664.html
forgive the dutch but it's pretty obvious from the picture (click it for larger image) what you're dealing with...
3x 5L keglets. is it possible that they don't leak? are they durable? it all looks a bit too good to be true.
now alls i needs me is a recipe for some silver bullet lookalike!! (4.9L rusty water, 100 ml amstel should do it)

just went to brew store yesterday and got 2 more 16 gm co2 for two bucks each. having been thru two refill on this sucker not including the original...
1. the system stays pressurized from top to bottom. when inserting the co2 turn it on slowly and DONT FILL ALL THE WAY TO THE VERY TOP leave some air space Although there is pressure at the very end it is noticeably diminished from the beginning.
2. today on refill I will prime using the method outlined in the tapadraft system since volume, and co2 is identical. I will let everyone know how it goes if I can wait long enough to start drinking. hahaha.

New brewer here. I got one of these coors light tap systems from a friend who was throwing it away. I plan to refill it and bottle the rest.

How many refills are people getting out of them before they start leaking or the tap breaks?

edit: Just noticed this is in the cider forum. I will be using it for beer.

I've got four refills so far. And im sure it could be used for anything. I filled it with screwdriver for my bro frat party. Worked perfectly

I'm buying my first today, then at tax time SWMBO is buying me 4 or 5 more... those things are awesome.

Can anyone answer the longevity question? From the TAD literature, "The 6-liter PET bottles are usable until they become damaged, usually for at least 8 batches."

I'd like to hear from anyone using them and how long/how many times you've used them so far, or at what point they failed. I hope this isn't hijacking the thread in any way.

Thanks!

Like the ideA but 1.5 gallons of cider lasts maybe two hours at my place. Prob less on y boat this summer. Can't beat the ease of this oiperatiion. Def can't argue the benefits of the mini keg vs pet though. I use it more as a serving vessel than a storage container though. Got ten of them lined right up.

do you have to prime a batch to get carbonation? Wont the beer get carbed from the Co2 capsul??

yes it does but not to the extent that you get a nice solid head on a pour. when you pour the carb comes out very quickly. With that being said, I've never had it in there very long. perhaps after a short waiting period more co2 would dissolve into the liquid. Also, I've never put anything but cider (and the screwdrivers at that party) into it.

How would you say these bottles are holding up so far? I've been looking for an alternative to glass bottling, and these seem like they would work.

tap-a-draft says each bottle is good for 4 months. Have you attempted to store any of these bottles?

scotched said:
How would you say these bottles are holding up so far? I've been looking for an alternative to glass bottling, and these seem like they would work.

tap-a-draft says each bottle is good for 4 months. Have you attempted to store any of these bottles?

I have reused mine twice now. The bottle is starting to look pretty wrinkled and creased. I don't think I'm going to try another. I am going to buy a 2.5 gal corny kit instead of these.

Back