Boil Volume

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveofmacomb

Reaction score
I'm still experimenting with my brewing recipes, and don't really want to brew 5 gallon batches, i'd prefer to do 2.5-3 gallon ones. For a standard 5 gallon batch, I see some of the recipes recommend a 2 gallon boil. My question is this, if i'm making a 3 gallon batch, can i just do a 3.5 gallon boil? My brewpot is large enough, and by the time that half gallon evaporates, i'll be at my desired 3 gallon batch size. I guess is it better to do a larger boil size if your pot will hold it, opposed to diluting with water after the boil? Thanks in advance.

I'm still experimenting with my brewing recipes, and don't really want to brew 5 gallon batches, i'd prefer to do 2.5-3 gallon ones. For a standard 5 gallon batch, I see some of the recipes recommend a 2 gallon boil. My question is this, if i'm making a 3 gallon batch, can i just do a 3.5 gallon boil? My brewpot is large enough, and by the time that half gallon evaporates, i'll be at my desired 3 gallon batch size. I guess is it better to do a larger boil size if your pot will hold it, opposed to diluting with water after the boil? Thanks in advance.

Sure, you can do that. I'd actually do a full boil 5 gallon recipe, and cut it in half, because the hops utilization can change when you change the specific gravity of the wort. It's not usually much, but if you want to post the recipe, we can run it through some brewing software for you to make sure it's what you were planning.

Absolutely! A full boil is always better for full hop utilization, minimizing the caramelization effect, and overall sanitation (you're not adding water later).

Doing a full boil will thoroughly strip your wort of oxygen, so be sure to shake it up real nice before the yeasties do their work. Other than that, it is definitely the way to go!

I would like to try an IPA, and came across the JadedDog's all amarillo recipe....
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f69/all-amarillo-ipa-28517/

Recipe Type: Extract
Yeast: Safale - 05
Yeast Starter: No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5
Original Gravity: 1.067
Final Gravity: 1.016
IBU: 45
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 days at 60 deg
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 3 weeks at 60 deg

7lbs Muntons Extra Light DME
1/2lb Crystal 40

Steeped in 1.5 gallons of 160 deg water for 20 minutes.

1.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for 60 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 15 Min
1 oz Amarillo 8%AA for for 5 Min
.5 oz Amarillo 8%AA for at flameout

Beer came out nice and smooth with just the right amount of hop bitterness for me. Real hop heads might want to up the hop additions and consider dry-hopping.

Latest posts

Back