Sulferous smell from airlock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nutty_gnome

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Emergency question:
I brewed a 'Maryland Kolsch' extract recipe (google it, its a recipe from "Brew Your Own") and pitched a nice 16ounce starter of White Labs European ale yeast at 11:30pm on Sunday eve. By 7:30 monday morning the airlock had vigorous, continuous activity. However, I just checked it again and there is a noticable sulfur odor coming from the gases being expelled from the airlock. Fermentation is ongoing, it is putting out healthy bubble per 2 seconds. IS THIS SMELL NORMAL?

I ask because I've not encountered this smell before with dry yeast. This is my first liquid yeast pitch. Please advise or let me know what other information I should provide.

Thanks in advance. N-G.

Kolsch's tend to have a sulfur aroma during fermentation (at least mine did) but will fade over time. By the time you rack it/keg it it should be gone.

Welcome to the sometimes ugly and stinky world of brewing...wait til you decide to make a batch of apfelwein...do a search for "Rhino Farts."

And wear a gasmask.

You're fine....

:mug:

Around here they are known as Rhino farts. They are famous in Apfelwein and very normal for a few types of beer yeast.

edit: guess I should have hit enter faster. :D

If you google Rhino Farts, you will see that that term is entering mainstream (at lest by those who have brewed Ed's Apfelwein...."

I found this....I dunno if it's from one of our own or not, since I googled for non HBT sites...

Rhino-Fart-Hard-Cider.jpg

But it fits.

hahahahaha. That rhino looks so happy too. If only there was a gaseous cloud coming from the rear of the rhino, that would be a great label.

Oh and another hint...if you have a chest freezer that you use to lager or ferment in, don't inhale if you happen to need to reach in their to get that bottle of beer, or ounce of hops you are storing in there....CO2 burns....:D

Latest posts

Back