McGrew's Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starsman20

Reaction score
I have been putting this together for a few years now so it's time to share I suppose. I am one of those brewers that subscribes to if it works perfect there aren't enough features. The system is a propane fired HERMS system controlled with a BCS 462

Here is the stand as it sits now.

3 pumps. The two standards plus a dedicated pump for HLT recirculation. I bought the stand but have made a bunch of mods. I really only wanted the stainless top but haven't redone the frame yet.

Love the Spike kettles. Not the least expensive but I got exactly what I wanted.

This is a valve example. After ocys closed I ended up buying some direct from China. Didn't even get raked on the shipping.

everything in my brewery has a label and a spot. I'm sure I am not the only 5S brewer out there.

Inside the HLT, I like stainless for the coil.

But my chiller/prechiller (It's hot in Texas) is copper

Boil Kettle with whirlpool

Front of my control box. I have a new cover plate with holes for 15 switches. All my switches for valves, pumps, and gas have an override and light when they are ON.

Side of the cabinet. There are 8 valves, 6 temp probes, and the 3 pumps.

gas valve has 1/2 plumbing. I need to swap out the banjo style burner that I have converted to LP to a jet style. It takes longer than I would like to do step mashes and heat the HLT. It has a standing pilot light.

I use a hop spider for the boil.

And I made the sparge arm.

I'll post up the cold side at some point (keezer, 2 fermenting freezers, 1 lager freezer, and one thing I really like is a counter pressure bottle filling station. I don't have any affiliation with Spike but did I say I sure like Ben's Kettles?

Sure. Attached are my wiring schematics and the basic plumbing layout. The recirc doc shows the state of everything for the mash recirc. There are about 20 more states I use. I can put them all up but they are basically the basic drawing showing what is turned on when.
I am using a little ssr board that has 4 relays in it. There are 3 being used ( and I have a couple of extra for future expansion :). I drew this in draftsight so if anyone wants the file I would be happy to share.

View attachment brewery_panel switches.pdf

View attachment bcs462 outputs ssr inputs.pdf

View attachment temp sensors.pdf

View attachment pumps and gas.pdf

View attachment general plumbing.pdf

View attachment mash recirc.pdf

Back