Priming 3711 Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neko

Reaction score
I have 5 gallons of saison cold crashing right now and I am going to bottle it tomorrow. It's the first time I have made a saison and I don't have that much experience with the style so I did a little research and it seems like there are conflicting opinions on how much corn sugar to add.

I looked at the tastybrew (http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html) calculator and they say the CO2 volumes range from 1.9-2.4 so that's about 3.5-4 ounces of corn sugar. Then I looked at the recipes here and most are aiming for 2.75-3.25 volumes or around 5+ ounces. I guess it comes down to how carbonated I want it, but I wanted to know what other people have done.

Thanks
:mug:

I usually use around 6 oz of corn sugar in my Saisons. I also ferment them around 80*F and assume 5.25 gallons going into my bottling bucket FWIW.

I just bottle carbed mine to 2.4 vols. Personally, I dont like super carbed beer. But mine has only been in bottles 10 days.

BJCP guidelines say "high carbonation", so 2.5vol would be a real minimum for a Saison, up to 3.0vol or more. Most online calculators will let you input beer temp and desired degree of carbonation to spit out how much sugar to use. BTW, doesn't have to be corn sugar.

I usually use around 6 oz of corn sugar in my Saisons. I also ferment them around 80*F and assume 5.25 gallons going into my bottling bucket FWIW.

+1 to that, I like mine extra bubbly. 6oz for a 5g batch should be pretty safe. I tried one batch at 6.5oz/5g and it was even better, but a couple of the weaker bottles did blow out... Carbonation in the ones that didn't was perfect though.

Going above 3 volumes is risky for exploding bottles. 3 volumes will give you plenty of carbonation for that style. I do that with hefs as well.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm going to try 5 ounces even though some of you go up to 6. Don't need any explosions and from what I've read there should be enough carbonation.

Back