Growing hops? Should i?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I brew probably an average of 1 time a month. I would probably do it more but......women......sometimes they just don't understand. Anyways..

I say rhizomes online for $4 a piece and thought why not?! I do know it takes a long time to grow so I had some questions.

Do you get any yields the first year? How much for one plant? How long does it take to grow before you can harvest?

I just want to one plant. Maybe a chinook.

Is it possible to just let it grow up a tree? Or in a large pot? Or is it a must to build a trelles.

Do you get any yields the first year? How much for one plant? How long does it take to grow before you can harvest?

No, some, a few months.

Sounds like you need to do some basic research. All of these questions can be quickly answered by using the search function within this forum.

I just want to one plant. Maybe a chinook.

Is it possible to just let it grow up a tree? Or in a large pot? Or is it a must to build a trelles.
Yes. Not really, they won't wind around a larger tree trunk. No, but it is preferred

Take a look at some of Randar's posts on growing hops. He knows his stuff.

For $4, it's worth it to take a shot...even if you get nothing, they're still cool looking plants for your yard. For a "trellis", lots of folks just tie some thick twine ~20 ft high to their roof, tree, etc and let the hops climb up the twine.

If you're just a casual grower not demanding optimal yield, it really opens up the options.

Back