Next batch, second all grain.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing something that was simple with no gimmicks or extras. A plain beer if you will. I want to get a taste of what malted barley and hops alone are like and Im just plain curious. So I was thinking of doing this;

8-9lbs. 2-row
.5 Chinook (60)
.5 Chinook (30)

According to beer recipator Im looking at a light color low abv beer, a session beer if you will. Anyone done this and with what results?

So I would use a single mash with batch sparge. Im thinking 152 for the rest at 1 hr, 60 minute boil. Its my understanding that if you use a lower mash temp you get a drier beer and at higher temps you get a beer with more body, right? I want to get a medium body beer thats balanced well. The IBU's are 38 which is at the high end of the spectrum but not overly bitter I would think. The last Plain Ale I made was a pre-hopped extract kit that was to far on the sweet side but it had nice a body. I want to get something similar without being so sweet.

Back