How do you decide how long a beer will need to condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaobrien6

Reaction score
So I'm going to be making a Jubelale clone this year, and in my mind I have this thought that it's going to take 2 to 3 months to be read to drink. I've seen that sentiment in some of the Jubelale recipe threads. My question is... why? It's not a particularly big beer, I'm shooting for an OG of about 1.070. That's not all that big, I've made IPA's that were above 1.060 and drank them *long* before 3 months. So I don't get why people think that Jubelale will need to condition for quite a while before drinking? And are they right? Should I make it now if I want to tap the keg at Thanksgiving?

I'm basically going off the recipe in this thread, FYI: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/2009-dechutes-jubelale-138876/

Individual tastes vary, and IPA's have a lot of hops to hide 'immaturity' in the beer.
I'm not familiar with Jubelale though.

1.070 is not a barleywine, but its not a small or even medium gravity beer...its definitely getting up there (consider many wines are only 1.080 to 1.085 OG).

My own two cents, a beer with that OG, I'd age 3 months before drinking too much...just because your IPA tastes good young, doesn't mean its peaked. For all you know, it could be an award-winning beer if left for 12 months.

Individual tastes vary, and IPA's have a lot of hops to hide 'immaturity' in the beer.
I'm not familiar with Jubelale though.

1.070 is not a barleywine, but its not a small or even medium gravity beer...its definitely getting up there (consider many wines are only 1.080 to 1.085 OG).

My own two cents, a beer with that OG, I'd age 3 months before drinking too much...just because your IPA tastes good young, doesn't mean its peaked. For all you know, it could be an award-winning beer if left for 12 months.

Fair points. Part of the problem is that I haven't been brewing long enough to have experimented with stuff like this. Perhaps I should just follow conventional wisdom and aim for about 3 months on this one.

FWIW, Jubelale is Deschutes' winter seasonal. The commercial version is 6.7% ABV and 60 IBU's. It's got a healthy amount of crystal malt and a little roasted barley to balance out the hops.

Oh, and I'm not sure if I could let my IPA sit for 12 months. When I make an IPA, I want that kick-in-the-face hop aroma, and I can't imagine that would last nearly that long.

Disclaimer: I have only been brewing for less than a year.

I like the idea of tasting on a regular basis. It's your beer and you can drink it when you want. Have 1 after 4 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. Take notes in your brew notebook and next time you will have a good idea of how long to age it. Also, you can help others out with the same question you now have.

That being said I personally subscribe to Remy's "of patience and bottle conditioning" (or something like that). Relax, don't rush it, and you might be surprised with what you end up with.

Disclaimer: I have only been brewing for less than a year.

I like the idea of tasting on a regular basis. It's your beer and you can drink it when you want. Have 1 after 4 weeks, 8 weeks, etc. Take notes in your brew notebook and next time you will have a good idea of how long to age it. Also, you can help others out with the same question you now have.

That being said I personally subscribe to Remy's "of patience and bottle conditioning" (or something like that). Relax, don't rush it, and you might be surprised with what you end up with.

this

Simplest answer: until it tastes the way you like it :D

I'm new to this but from what I know, the longer a beer ages, the more it changes, and different people have different tastes. So crack some open now, a few weeks from now, few months from new, or years from now, and decide how long you like it to be conditioned.

Latest posts

Back