Four New Types

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emadams1980

Reaction score
I decided to grow some hops this year. I had to come up with a new garden space for them. Here is what I built.

IMG_01632.jpg

It planted four different types. I have two Mt Hood, two Cascade, two Sterling, and two Nugget. I built the garden on the back side of my garage. I figured that would be a good spot for the bine of each plant to grow. I put a wood stake behind each plant with an eyelet screwed into the top.

IMG_01883.jpg

Then for each type I screwed an eyelet into the eve of the roof with a screw pin shackle. The reason for the shackle is for easy tare down come harvest time. Sure I could just cut the twine but then I would not have been able to buy all the fun hardware.

IMG_01903.jpg

Once all of the hardware had been installed I ran my garden twine from the ground up to the shackle and back down to the ground. Sort of an upside down "V". Here is a picture looking at the back of the garage.

IMG_0198.JPG

Kind of hard to see the twine formation but it does give you the idea. I had to run the twine up at a bit of an angle to get the most hight out of the garage for each plant. There is 10 to 12 feet of hight. As you can see, I couldn't center the planter up in the back because of the stupid door.

IMG_01912.JPG

IMG_01973.jpg

Anyway, I do have one Cascade that got an early start so here is a picture with it starting to run up the twine.

IMG_01933.jpg

This is nearly identical to my set up, except you have a better way to secure the lines to the ground. I have a soaker hose that runs the length the garden, it circles around each plant. I also have those plastic garden edgers, but I hammered them deep into the ground to help divide the beds so in the future the rhizomes won't cross. I think this year you'll have a good first year crop and next year you'll have a great yield.

This is nearly identical to my set up, except you have a better way to secure the lines to the ground. I have a soaker hose that runs the length the garden, it circles around each plant. I also have those plastic garden edgers, but I hammered them deep into the ground to help divide the beds so in the future the rhizomes won't cross. I think this year you'll have a good first year crop and next year you'll have a great yield.

I never thought to seperate each type. I like the idea. I have noticed that the leaf of each type have enough of a difference that I can cut it out. I am only going for a good solid growth this year. I want to help the rhizomes form a good root base.

No, I have 2 Cascade, 2 Mt Hood, 2 Nugget, and 2 Sterling.

Duh...I guess that's why the thread is called "Four New Types" :drunk:

The reason I was asking is because they look mighty close to each other. In a few years they could very well start growing together as the roots spread out.

The reason I was asking is because they look mighty close to each other. In a few years they could very well start growing together as the roots spread out.

Im not to worried about that, I have plans to give by buddy one of each of these types next year as soon as he buys his house.

Since I wrote this post I found one bine popping out from UNDER my plastic barrier. So basically it grew under then popped out/up. I wasn't worried about you not being able to identify each hop above ground, I was concerned that in three years your rhizomes would be one long merged mess. It seems you've got this covered if you plan to replant them later.

For what it's worth I planted 2) Mt. Hood, 2)Sterling, 2)Cascade, and 2)Chinook. So when I say 'almost identical' I meant it. Same set up and nearly same hops. :)

For what it's worth I planted 2) Mt. Hood, 2)Sterling, 2)Cascade, and 2)Chinook. So when I say 'almost identical' I meant it. Same set up and nearly same hops. :)

Boy I guess. I would have liked to get my hands on a some Chinook, I do like that stuff. If goes great when combined with Cascade.

Latest posts

Back