Home grown Hops... how much?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
Ok, I've got Hallertauer, Centenials, Cascades, Nuggets

They are 09's (first year hops)

So the question How much??? double the recipe? Or something else?

Opinions wanted.

Cheers
:mug:

I plan on getting some rhizomes as soon as they become available. In anticipation i purchased a book " the Homebrewer's Garden" by Joe fisher and Dennis Fisher. very interesting read covers growing grain, hops, and herbs. and processing grains, hops, and herbs. It says about modifying recipes and i quote" Hops- Homegrown hops tend to be much stronger than commercial ones due to freshness and the lack of processing. so a good rule when using your own hops is to tread lighter than you usually would."
Let me know how it turns out looking forward to getting some in the spring. :D

Less?? Really? Hmmm I was thinking the other way around...

Maybe I'll just do 2oz...2oz...2oz..and 2oz at flameout... Nugg, Cent, Cass, and Haller in that order....

A IIII Ipa... :D:D If your book is right.... he he he.

Any home grown hops users have any more tips or recipe #'s for me??

BTW.. Growing hops this year was a blast, next year they are going to explode as the roots were going NUTS this fall as I trimmed off the hops and left the bines until the first frost.

Would you be able to harvest some of your roots and transplant in another spot. Basically giving you another plant. Or in the case of a move can take with you to new house?

For flavor/aroma, use the same amount. For bittering, calculate the add using a middle value for the type.

Krops (?)
From what I've read, trimming back the roots is not traditionally done until year 3. I had a good year for a first year, but I'm excited for year 2!!

Come yr 3, I'll trim and fill as my row is 100+' long and I've got 6' between current roots, so will fill in to a 3' separation for a double of the bines. By then I'll be Flush with hops :ban::ban:

Cheers and wishing all a Splendid X-Mass Eve!:mug:

david,

I think you were growing this year too, from what I recall. I think I picked my Hallertauer and Cascades a week or 2 early, so I guess I'm just thinking they aren't as high in bittering units. How did your's turn out? and using your rules for Bittering and flavor/aroma, what are your results in your beer?

Guess I'd be happy with a more Hoppy beer, but not so much with a flat flavor profile... So maybe I'll split the difference?? 1.5x's recipie?

1st year harvest will not be as aromatic as 2nd or 3rd year, when the hop plants are mature.

I used 3X the amount I would use for pelletized hops.

Good luck!

Latest posts

Back