Whiskey Barrel Aging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good stuff, it can take an incredibly long time for barrel aged beers to carbonate. How is the flavor profile, has it changed much since 1 1/2 months ago as well?

Good stuff, it can take an incredibly long time for barrel aged beers to carbonate. How is the flavor profile, has it changed much since 1 1/2 months ago as well?

Yes, it has. I was surprised to see just how much of the whisky flavor got muted. The whisky, vanilla, and oak notes were very strong going into the bottle. They have mellowed out nicely and have become a nice balance to the roastyness of the stout. I don't think it will need as much maturation as I originally thought.

A buddy of mine gave a a couple of pounds of old whiskey barrel chips he uses for smoking. I was thinking about soaking them in some bourbon to kill off any bugs, and putting then into the secondary for a week - What's everyone think??

A buddy of mine gave a a couple of pounds of old whiskey barrel chips he uses for smoking. I was thinking about soaking them in some bourbon to kill off any bugs, and putting then into the secondary for a week - What's everyone think??

I've never used them but I know a lot of people here have used them with great results. There are a lot of threads on this forum about using oak chips, smoking chips, ect. But, basically, soak 1 - 2 ounces chips in bourbon for a week then toss them into your beer after primary fermentation is done. Taste your beer after a week, then decide if it needs more time. Taste often, you can over oak a beer quickly.

Just got my whiskey barrel for Christmas and I have a few questions.

1. It's an 8 gallon barrel, I typically do 5-6 gallon batches, how much of a problem is the extra space?

2. Before filling should I purge with co2, and should I use an air lock or the bung?

3. After aging, I'm reading that I should clean the barrel with 180 degree water? If I am boiling it does it matter if it's tap water? After that I should add a handle of whiskey to keep it clean and with flavor correct?

Don't worry about extra space. Purge with CO2, fill with 5-6 gallons and bung or air lock, your choice. As far as washing, it depends on how the barrel was used before you acquired it. If it was recently filled with bourbon or whiskey there's no need to wash it out. If you're uncertain then it's best to do a hot water rinse. Heated tap water is fine.

Sorry, didn't read carefully. Yes, after aging go ahead and rinse with 180 degree tap water. If you're not going to fill it with beer again soon, then store it with water to keep the staves from drying.

awesome thanks, will purge with C02 and then fill with beer, after kegging this beer ill wash with 180 degree water, then fill with whiskey while in storage.

Going to also try to store it at 55% in my basement, hoping that it doesn't dry it out.

I have aged two beers, an 8% Porter and a 7.5% Red in a 10 gal whiskey barrel from a local small batch distiller. I kept it wet between the two with a bottle of Jim Beam Devil's Cut. Both sat for 30 days and they are both nice and smooth, Vanilla notes along with a nice mild bourbon flavor on the back end. The only issue I am having is getting them to carb properly. Bottles take forever and force carbing has left little head and more of a Casked level of carbonation. Not bad, just unusual to not ge the carb levels up. BTW I have done both recipes before without the barrel and they carbed perfectly.

Anyone know what the deal is with this? Why does barrel aged beer not carb up and what is the remedy?

Aged beer de gasses and does not have as much co2 as freshly fermented beer does. Consequently I use a higher temp when calculating how much sugar to add. Usually figure about 80 or 85 degrees in the carb tools. Hope that helps.

I just brewed a raspberry porter aged in a barrel and an espresso stout in a barrel.

The raspberry porter carbed up just right, but the espresso stout wouldn't take in any CO2. Not sure why other than maybe oils from the espresso?

Yea, sorry I should have mentioned that. Beer sat in barrels a few months and then into kegs. I set the CO2 to around 12 and let it sit a few weeks at 36-38F. The porter turned out perfect and the stout is flat.

I guess I will have to pull the keg out and do some"rock n' roll" at high PSI. Hopefully it it will start to infuse because the beer tastes awesome.

Seems weird that it wouldn't carb up. I would try a higher PSI and rock it around.

As for the barleywine, you totally could age them in a 5gal barrel just watch the timing. I did one in a whiskey barrel for 6 weeks and it turned out great. Very boozy so I had to let it gae out for a year or so. Probably will be great at about 2 or 3 years.

The last time I made the barley wine I let it age for at least 12 months and it was great at that point. I kept a couple bottles for another 12 months and those were beyond fantastic.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the oak and the whiskey do to this one

Wow that is quite a long time in one of those 5gals. The surface area is about 4 times as much as a standard 55 which I why I personally don't age them that long. Great to hear yours turned out so well though.

Latest posts

Back