Screw top wine bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceromance

Reaction score
I got some wine bottles from my sister and some were screw top instead of corked. Can I use them and cork them?? Anyone ever corka screw top wine bottle??

I got some of them as well. The screw tops use a special closure that is not compatible with screw tops you can buy - they require a special device to apply them.

So - I would stick with regular wine bottles or beer bottles. Also, I have used the wine bags with great success.

sometimes you cannot tell what kind of closure is used until the wrapper is taken off. if you are using a wing corker there has to be a lip to grab onto around the top, a floor corker could probably do without. as long as the inside fits a cork and the neck is straight, why not? i have only used a few of the screw type(just checked and i don't have any at the moment) but if i am in need of bottles and they are all i have i'll use them. now after saying yes they do work i have come across some that didn't work with my wing corker because they didn't have enough of a lip to grab onto. if unsure, try and cork an empty bottle, it's only one cork and worth it.

-cheers

I've corked a screw top bottle before. I have a floor corker, and it seems to go without any problems. I don't have extensive experience with wine making or bottling, but so far, I'd say I've corked maybe 15 screw tops and haven't had any breakages or issues whatsoever.
I usually screw the cap on after putting in the cork, so if I don't finish the bottle in one shot, I can keep a seal on it without messing about with the cork

I used screw cap top bottles -- and just screwed the cap back on.

If you do that, drink those bottles first, just in case! ;)

I've corked a screw top bottle before. I have a floor corker, and it seems to go without any problems. I don't have extensive experience with wine making or bottling, but so far, I'd say I've corked maybe 15 screw tops and haven't had any breakages or issues whatsoever.
I usually screw the cap on after putting in the cork, so if I don't finish the bottle in one shot, I can keep a seal on it without messing about with the cork

Same thing here. I get a little apprehensive about it because they're not designed for it. I use my regular bottles first then if I need more I'll use the screw tops.

Although do not EVER use liquor bottles. This may happen...

https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/data/1/medium/0809102045a.jpg

That's funny, I was just corking a few bottles, one of which was a screw top 1.5L. It worked fine with this particular bottle, others may be different. I like using screw cap 1.5L for fermenting batches too small for a Carlo Jug; If the cap is on almost all the way it will let CO2 out and nothing in (most of the time).

I used an ancient beer capping press I got today at my LHBS. It seems to be good for corking, and fine for beer caps. The best part about it is that it was made long before I was born, and will still work well after I die.

But yeah, corks fit at least some screw cap bottles, and it's essay to check (try corking it empty).

Well that was a Disaronno bottle I think it was just weaker then average for the sake of holding wine that hasn't been degassed.

I opened a bottle of wine that I bought from a local winery (Winona, MN) and it wsa corked, but the bottle had the screw threads too. I would think as long as you use the proper size corks, you should be just fine.

Latest posts

Back