Fermentation Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Reaction score
I'm new to homebrewing (only brewed 1 batch, which has been sitting in the primary fermentor for 10 days now), but I've been poking around this site for about a year, and from what I've read, it seems one of the simplest steps a homebrewer can take to improve his/her beer is controlling the fermentation temperature. Fortunately, the weather has been in the mid 60's to low 70's over the last two weeks, and more of the same is predicted for the the long-term outlook, which means my house has been more or less 65-70 degrees since I brewed my first batch. However, with summer quickly approaching, my home becomes extremely warm (mid to upper 70's and even low 80's), which I understand is too warm for fermentation. So, I've been looking into some "son of fermentation" plans and even made a trip to Home Depot to price everything out. Looks like it can be made for about $75 or so. In light of the upcoming heat and my inexperience, would this be the best step for me to take? I've seen the various "swamp coolers" that people use, but that's not going to be an option for me (i.e., I have a SWMBO). I'm looking to put together a fermentation chiller and keep it in the garage.

Does anyone have any decent pictures of this type of chiller?

any advice?

Thanks.

An option a lot of new brewers (and experienced brewers a like) is a simple water bath. I don't know if this would work for you, but you should think about it a bit. You can fit a carboy or two in a tote, fill it with water and then drop in frozen water bottles once or twice a day.

I'm looking at building a temp controlled chamber. I've used damp towels in the past. Tie a towel around the carboy, and then dump water on it a few times a day...

If you've got a $75 budget. Just go the mini fridge route. Get one on craigslist for $20-$40 and take off the door. Add a temperature controller. Build a box large enough for your fermenters with 2" of the pink foam board and duct tape. As long as you aren't lagering it should work great. Okay... maybe it adds up a little more then $75 but it sure beats switching out water bottles every day or two.

Back