am i in trouble????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lokiua4

Reaction score
i just brewed up a batch of arrogant bastard ale yesterday and i have been checking the air lock periodically and the last time i checked there was foam comming out of the air lock.is this going to be a problem and what can i do about it? this is the first time i used the yeast feul and the alcohol boost in my brewing.also i have never double pitched befor.could one of these be the problem????

That foam is the kraüsen - or a heck of a lot of yeast! When beers undergo a healthy fermentation, a nice frothy head appears on the top of the liquid in the fermentor. I'm guessing you're using a plastic bucket and can't see inside. This is what it looks like in a carboy http://www.betterbeerblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/1/homebrew_judy_hefeweizen_krausen.jpg

In higher alcohol beers and most used with wheat, a larger kraüsen can make its way out of the airlock. Just take off the airlock, clean it when needed, sanitize and put it back on. Some people use thick hoses that lead out of the fermentor into a bottle of water to control the blow off. As long as you keep it clean this is only the sign of a very active and healthy fermentation!

Sounds like you need a 'blow-off' tube. Get rid of the airlock and just put a tube into the rubber stopper long enough to drain into a tub or bottle. Don't worry about the airlock...the tube will take care of everything. After the blow-off you can then re-install the the airlock.

Back