Critique My Extract Rye IPA Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexdagrate

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Rye IPA tonight, here are my plans:

7 pounds light Briess LME

1.75 pounds Crystal 40
.25 pounds Wheat
.75 pounds Rye
.25 pounds flaked rye

1 ounce Columbus at 60

1 once Amarillo at 15
1 ounce Centennial at 15

2 ounce Cascade at 0

.5 ounce Cascade dry hop after 2 weeks fermentation

Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast - byproduct yeast obtained from local microbrewery for free.:rockin:

Waddya guys think?

My first impression is that there is a lot of light Crystal malt, which is going to lead to a rather sweet IPA. I would sub out some of the C40 for something like Munich or Vienna - this will give you the malt profile without so much of the sweetness. I also think you should bump up the dry-hops.

My first impression is that there is a lot of light Crystal malt, which is going to lead to a rather sweet IPA. I would sub out some of the C40 for something like Munich or Vienna - this will give you the malt profile without so much of the sweetness. I also think you should bump up the dry-hops.

Good call. I'll pick up some vienna on the way home and bump up the dry hops, I've always been a bit timid with those and noticed some lacking aroma lately.

I like the combo, the rye will be nice, it's kinda spicy and very refreshing. Good luck!

Personally, I'd bump up the rye. I think the amount you have in there is quite subtle. As a reference, Bear Republics Hop Rod Rye uses 20% of the grist as rye. I'd probably also drop the wheat, but that's just my preference (the rye will aide in head retention).

Can't remember what the final numbers were, this was so long ago.

But it was damn good. I've used rye (both flaked and unflaked) a lot more since then.

Personally, I think the more the merrier. I made a Rye IPA with something like 12 lbs of LME, 2 pounds of Rye steeped, .5 lb of flaked rye, and like a 1 lb of crystal 40. i added close to a pound of hops to that bad boy, it was great!

Back