The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The two times I've had to use a human cashier over the last two weeks the "conversation" was held as terse as functionally possible.
They don't you around, and I just wanna get the heck out of there...

Sounds good, can picture you now with a tank on the back, & your wife breathing though the buddy mouthpiece, when she finally decides to accompany you to make sure you don't not buy all the wrong stuff again. ;}

lol! tbh, The Spousal Unit has always been the quartermaster which takes my errant ways out of the equation :)
I just make beer and keep the homestead infrastructure upright and respectable.

I've been worried about her wrt her hunting/gathering missions, but she's been pretty good about minimizing trips to the supermarket, and only goes during Senior Hours. And now that the CDC has finally gotten a clue wrt universal masking, she's going to wear a legit face mask next trip.

I've only gone out to pick up brewing supplies and parts for a truck project I've been working on. And at that I totally avoided the local Lowes when I pulled up and found about 200 cars in their lot. Wtf? I ended up back in my home town Aubuchon which had 3 masked and gloved employees and just me for the 5 minutes I was gathering stainless hardware bits from the bins...

Cheers!

Walmart hasn't changed. Went there this morning for a large plastic storage tub. Saturday morning, probably 100 people in the store, 3 cashiers for 20 registers.

I went to Target early this morning wearing my face mask (which I ordered on AliExpress as soon as I learned we started getting Covid-19 cases here) and some woman and her guy were looking at me and she said "Maybe we should get face masks too!". I'm like duuuuuuuh, go make one. I know in Minnesota we're doing pretty well at social distancing because that's like, our thing anyways, but people in my area of Minneapolis just don't seem to care. Almost nobody is covering up and I'm sick of leading by example by default. Our household got infected and we've long since recovered but if we can catch it, so can all the damn millennials in my area who don't respect the 6-foot rule.

Ok, rant over.

0AFBCEE3-6162-42A1-9155-913DE37F07E3.jpeg

So I suppose I ought to chime in and add my 2 cents worth to the current situation. Remember my professional advise is worth exactly what you pay for it and I am writing this at about a third grade level.

There are a lot of unanswered questions surrounding this virus. That is because it didn't exist in humans until a few months ago. It existed in other animals and stayed there, until one day when the viruses in a particular animal in China changed something in it's RNA sequence. That change made it able to be transmitted to humans. Once it got established in the first guy it was able to be transmitted to others.

When you get a regular vaccination like the flu shot or measles/mumps/rubella we inject a tiny amount of inactivated or dead virus particles into your body. Your body's immune system recognizes these as 'foreign invaders' and mounts a general response to the invaders. Within a few days your immune system has built an army of cellular soldiers who are designed to fight that particular invader. Those 'cellular soldiers' effectively 'eat up' the invaders. Then they have a parade down Main Street and hang out drinking beer in the Legion basement until someday in the future when the real foreign invaders show up. Then the old soldiers come pouring out of the Legion basement and get right back to work. Because they've already fought and beat the other guys they make quick work of mopping up the opposition.

(If any of you guys are microbiologists <or even happen to have a GED>, I apologize for that last paragraph, although in this thread I think that highly unlikely.)

Those 'soldiers' are the antibodies you hear people talking about. If you've been exposed and developed your own army (antibodies) we can test your blood and see the antibodies in there. No one had antibodies to this virus before now because it didn't exist in people. As more people are exposed (and recover) the pool of people who have developed immunity to this particular virus will grow, that will leave the virus with less opportunities to spread.

(Think of a herd of cows. If one cow in a herd has a disease he can give it to all the other cows. If all of the other cows have antibodies to that disease the one infected cow cant give it to any body. If all the cows in the herd have antibodies except one, that one cow is unlikely to catch the disease because none of the other cows can give it to him.)

Where does this leave you and me? This is a highly contagious illness. It spreads rapidly through droplets and aerosol transmission. Someone walking around with the virus is expelling it with every breath. (Think of the idiots with their Vape devices. We all do exhale the same, our exhalations are just not as visible as the vapers.) Masks are fairly effective in containing those cloud of virus laden exhalations, coughs and sneezes so that the guy walking around behind them doesn't walk through the cloud. Wear masks, even if you have to make your own out of old tee shirts, it's better than nothing.

Personally, I assume I'm going to get it. I work as the provider in an outpatient Urgent Care center and I'm swabing dozens of noses a day. I'm 61, and overweight with no other real co-morbidities. I'm not terribly concerned that I'm going to croak from this when I enevitably get it. I'm more liable to croak from wearing that god damned N95 mask all day. I've hated those f'ers for years. I told my 90 year old mother I'll see her in July. Her, I'm worried about.

This post is getting pretty long. I'll post the general discharge instructions I'm giving my patients in another post just a s a guidence of how to take care of yourself or family if (when) you do get it.

Flu and “Flu-like” Illness

The flu and “flu-like’ illnesses (i.e. the common cold) are caused by viruses. Viruses are microscopically small causes of illness. They are not quite alive as you and I understand that term, but they have some life-like aspects, including the ability to reproduce inside a “host’ like you and me. Viruses are not affected by antibiotics, there is not a single antibiotic anywhere that affects a virus.

There are some new medications called antivirals (i.e. Tamiflu and Xufluza) that interrupt the flu virus’s reproductive cycle and may shorten the length of time you feel ill. Your provider will discuss with you if these medications are appropriate for you or your child. These medications don’t ‘cure’ the flu and you will still feel ill during the time it takes your body to manufacture it’s own immune response, or “Flu Fighters.” These medicines don't work for COVID 19

In the meantime, you can take steps to help yourself feel better.

1. Drink lots of fluids. If you are awake you should have a glass of water in your hand. Unless you have a fluid restriction because of renal or cardiac disease you need all the fluid you can drink.

2. Take acetaminophen and ibuprofen to help with pain and fever. (See the handout for acetaminophen and ibuprofen.)

3. Rest. Stay in bed, watch TV, read a good book. Your body needs to recover.

4. Stay away from people. These illnesses are contagious. They spread by droplets in the air from coughing and sneezing. Cover your mouth with a tissue when you cough and sneeze. Wear a mask. Wash your handsregularly and avoid touching communal items like the TV clicker. Stay home from work and school. You wouldn’t like it if your colleague came to work/school and shared his illness with you. Don’t be THAT guy.

5. Gargle with warm salt water, drink tea and honey, humidify the air. Do all the things Gramma told you to do, Gramma was a smart lady, do what she said.

Paul’s Discharge Instructions

Pain and/or Fever Adult

Unless you have some pre-existing medical conditions that would limit you. (i.e. hepatitis), you can usually take both Acetaminophen (brand name Tylenol) and Ibuprofen(brand names Motrin or Advil) for your pain and/or fever.

You may take 2-3 regular strength (325 mg; 2 X 325mg = 650mg, 3 x 325 mg = 975mg) OR 2 extra strength (500 mg 2 x 500 = 1000 mg) of acetaminophenevery six hours. The difference between 975 mg and 1000 mg is insignificant.

You may take 2-3 regular over the counter strength (200mg; 2 x 200mg = 400mg, 3 x 200mg = 600mg) of ibuprofen every 6 hours.

You may take both acetaminophen and ibuprofen together but should not take them at the same time, you should have +/- 3 hours between the two medications.For example, if you take acetaminophen at 6am, 12pm, 6 pm and midnight you could also take ibuprofen at 3am, 9am, 3pm and 9pm.

You should take both with a full 8 ounce glass of water every time. Ibuprofen can sometimes cause stomach irritation so you may want to have something in your stomach beforehand. You should avoid alcohol while taking ibuprofen.

A true PTN-PSA. I applaud. Too bad about that whole ending with "no alcohol" part, but thanks. Do you have any thoughts regarding staying safe from the rabid mooks wanting to run trains into hospital ships or burn down 5G cell towers?

Only in Maine.

fwiw, I don't think it has been firmly established that someone with Covid-19 antibodies is protected from reinfection.
That's the usual case with viral infections that are survived, but it's yet to be accepted in this case as it takes some time to build a cohort and then follow it long enough to gain assurance...

Cheers!

I love my Garand, OK? It is an exceptional way to get rounds downrange quickly and accurately. (But, as an aside, the 7th round always goes straight up, and hits me in the top of the head, just as I'm squeezing for the last round. Kinda distracting).

BUT, if I want to shoot the balls off a horsefly, I'll pick up an original 1903 Springfield. Not the WWII refurb A3.

More or less only one note on the rifles, guitars have many more options. And one can play loud or soft...even crank the tube amp, and the "first responders" won't be coming up the drive.

I'll stick w the Gibsons for now. "Old timey" on the acoustic good for winding down, maybe do that now. By the time it goes the other way, I suspect we will not be posting in this forum. Hope it never comes to that, ...I have thought it through..., pretty sure no one wins.

BTW, '17 Enfield like Sgt York carried is my back up in that round.

Return to the middle ages. Drinking beer is safer than drinking water.
:bott:

Maybe it's just me, but I don't typically drink wastewater -
after the various treatments water goes through, chlorination and such, I'd think water is fine.
But just to be safe, drink beer / booze instead.

That's good news, isn't it? More people who ARE infected than we expect - but who are not in the hospital system - mean that a higher percentage of folks we get it are asymptomatic. And if more people have it already that we believed, perhaps we're closer to the herd immunity threshold?

I've also heard it suggested that monitoring waste waster might be a technique to try and track where hot spots might be developing. You might get that information a little quicker (and it would be a larger sample size) than just watching folks landing in the ER. If you see the numbers increasing, you know that community probably needs to be locked down - but other areas where the numbers are stable or declining perhaps some of the social distancing protocols can be loosened up.

^^^now that is funny,.

Unfortunately, sounds like fertile grounds for federally funded grant,... assuming one applying was well enough connected...and paid off the right officials...

Back