orange flames on BG12 burners

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1n1m3g

Reaction score
So, I've plumbed in 2 brand newBayou Classic BG12 burners using 1/2" iron pipe. Each burner is controlled by a Brass control valve. The threads are all sealed nicely; no leaks. The problem I'm having is that I can only get big orange flames instead of the nice hot blue flames I'm expecting even using a 10 PSI regulator off the propane tank and at the lowest setting of the control valves. I think the burners aren't getting enough oxygen through the air intake orifice because I can blow into the opening and get the flames to come down into nice tight blue flames. Obviously, I can't make the air intake orifice any larger, so I'm stuck and could use a few ideas.

I've read through these forums about other issues people have with these burners. It seems that most people end up with burners clogged with debris from boil overs or spider webs and can fix the problem by a good soak in cleaner. My burners are brand new and aren't clogged with anything. What can I do? Thanks for the help in advance. Cheers!

After posting this thread and doing more reading research, I think I've found the problem:

Check out the picture posted here!

I'll post back with results once I get an 1/8" jet and install it.

Back