Dry Yeast Packs, storage time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WenValley

Reaction score
I'm placing a grain order this week and I would like to order some extra packs of dry yeast such as Safale us-04 and 05, plus a pack or two of Champagne yeast.

What's the shelf life of these dry yeast packs if they're stored in refriderator? I like to brew about once a week, and I have no LHBS within a three hour drive.

I've ranched Nottingham and have several pints ready to use, and I'll ranch other dry yeasts as the cake comes available.

Thanks.

I have had some that were a couple years old...as long as your a storing them in the fridge, they will have viable cells even after the best used by date.

If ever in doubt all you need to do is proof the yeast first, or even make a starter. But unless yeast is heated, even a few living cells can be grown to a huge starter (the first thing yeast does is reproduce) that's why we can grow huge starters from the dregs in the bottom of a bottle of beer.

So you can order as much as you need and really store them for a couple years without worry.

The expiration dates are at least a year. And like Revvy said, even well after that you will have viable yeast left, just make sure you store them correctly.

I've bought and brewed with more then one "1/2 off expired yeast" from the LHBS.

If you put it in the freezer, almost infinite. SWMBO has 5yr old bread (dry) yeast that is perfectly useable. It shouldn't be that much different.

Just did a batch of cider with a 4-year old packet of champagne yeast. No problems.

What's a good storage temperature?

Right now, I'm keeping my packets in the butter keeper part of my fridge (because I don't keep butter in there!); I checked, and it's sitting at 46F. Cool enough, or should I keep them in the main part of the fridge?

Hadn't thought of freezing them, don't know why, I've got bread yeast in the freezer!

OTOH I don't know what I'm going to do with these packets though. I still brew some kits, but usually rack and put in a new batch at the same time, so just put the wort on the old yeast cake, leaving me with an unused packet. So far, the excess Cooper's and Munton's yeast has been going to making ginger ale and root beer!

What's a good storage temperature?

Right now, I'm keeping my packets in the butter keeper part of my fridge (because I don't keep butter in there!); I checked, and it's sitting at 46F. Cool enough, or should I keep them in the main part of the fridge?

Mildly off-topic: Check the temp in other parts of your fridge. 46F is to warm for food storage.

Main part of the fridge sits just above freezing - 34-35F. Thanks for the concern, the milk is keeping fine!

The butter keeper is meant to be warmer than the rest of the fridge so the butter is soft. It's at the top of the door, which would be the warmest part of the fridge.

Back