Killed My First keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlyday

Reaction score
Just killed my first keg. It is a sad day. It was full of a tasty red ale I made on halloween, which benefited a lot with age. Im sad to see it go. I have a scottish ale in the other keg, and a bock almost done with laggering that I could put in it. But should I bottle the bock and make something a little more easy drinking for the keg?

killing a keg is always sad. I'm even sad when I kill a keg of soda, and lets face it, it's just soda. I'm sorry for your loss...

As for a replacement, I would go with whatever you feel is right. I would personally just keg the bock, because it's already good to go. Then you can brew up a batch of some easy-drinking beer and either buy another keg to put it in until you can swap it out, or you can bottle it, or you can have the excuse to suck down a lot of beer to make room for your next batch.

i'd probably bottle the bock and whip up a quick summery beer (cream of three crops/hefe/kolsch) for the keg. I like my bocks, but more of an occasional beer.

Im leaning towards bottling the bock. Its a 6.5% abv, if I had more kegs I would keg it, but I can probably whip up a cream ale pretty quick. Im finally getting around to brewing my oktoberfest next weekend, might need to be a double brew weekend.

yes it is sad to kill a keg but it is much more sad when you kill 3 and dont have anything in the pipline

Im leaning towards bottling the bock. Its a 6.5% abv, if I had more kegs I would keg it, but I can probably whip up a cream ale pretty quick. Im finally getting around to brewing my oktoberfest next weekend, might need to be a double brew weekend.

You said it yourself. GET MORE KEGS! I don't know what I'd do if I were limited to one or two kegs on tap at a time and extras in reserve. We do seem to keep them in a good rotation, but it is definitely a sad day when one is killed - even sadder when you have a party and the best cream ale you made is killed OVER NIGHT! That was the most exciting/sad day of my brewing career.

when any keg is killed i get :( , if i killed three myself, :drunk:

Oh it was not my self a buddy come out for a week and we killed 3 and i have not had time or the funds to brew any more. hopefully here soon i will be able to get a few kits going agin.

I drink 'em pretty slow, especially when I have all four on tap. By the end I'm usually trying to kill it and amazed with how many more beers I can get out of a keg that feels empty. I've got myself pretty :drunk: a few times trying to kill a keg to make room for something else

Im pretty much the only one drinking off the kegs. This one lasted 3 months, and was getting better every pour. I never lifted it to see what was left, but kept being amazed I got another pour out of it. Last night I got an inch of beer some foam then air.
Im looking today for a couple more kegs. Id like to have one to lager my oktoberfest in.

when i have two kegs in the fridge, they're sandwiched in pretty tight, but with just one it starts to get pretty wobbly when it gets low. That's when you know you should have already brewed a replacement beer.

Yeah I should have brewed again already, but we had a spring break vacation where we were going to be away from the house while it would have been fermenting and I didnt want to risk comming home to a mess, so I wait. I have a bock that will be ready the 15th and a 3/4 full keg of a scottish ale, plus a few cases of yuengling and a smattering of bottles from previous batches.

Yeah I should have brewed again already, but we had a spring break vacation where we were going to be away from the house while it would have been fermenting and I didnt want to risk comming home to a mess, so I wait. I have a bock that will be ready the 15th and a 3/4 full keg of a scottish ale, plus a few cases of yuengling and a smattering of bottles from previous batches.

that's not bad at all. i've been in a brewin frenzy for the past month, so i'm almost set for a while.

Sad day for sure when a keg of great tasting homebrew is finished off. The best part about doing double batches now, is I have a back up keg of every beer I do. I've been loving "Smooth Brown" the last 3 weeks, but have a backup when that is consumed. I did a great tasting American Wheat. Took that keg to the coast for a party; it lasted 6 hours, but I've been drinking on the backup for the last month. More kegs and larger batches!

Latest posts

Back