Burnin a halfer to get shipped yeast off hot porch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpanishCastleAle

Reaction score
That's right. My midwest order is supposed to be delivered today and even though I bought the 'deluxe ice pack yeast shipping thing-a-ma-bob' I'm actually thinking of burning a halfer so my liquid yeastie friends don't cook in the Florida heat all day. That ice pack thingie has got to be well past 'cool'.

Crazy? Should I just RDWHA..'nuther cup o joe? It'll be a while before I get around to using the last vial of this shipment.

Burning a halfer? Taking a half day off or something? Or are you smoking a very, very large doobie? I personally wouldn't "worry" about the yeast dying in the Florida heat if they're out there for a few hours, but then again, I take every chance I can get some time off of work. The decision is yours my friend, but the yeast should be just fine!

Burning a halfer? Taking a half day off or something? Or are you smoking a very, very large doobie?
Haha, yes half day off. I'd prob be more concerned with choc chip cookies than yeast health if the other.;)

I would only take the halfer if you'll be able to brew once you arrive home as well :) Do you not have any neighbors who you could call to grab it and take it inside their house until you get home? Or maybe just head home at lunch, put it the fridge, then go back?

Long drive, can't do the lunch thing.

Wouldn't brew when I got home...prob mow the back yard before the obligatory afternoon thunderstorm.:(

rsmith touched on it...I'm prob just tryin' to justify it.;)

Can't say I've ever heard the term "burnin a halfer" before, either. I too thought you were talking about a blunt, but that made no sense, so I clicked in.

IIWY, I'd take a half day just because...it's safer for yeast health, and you get to take a half day, which is always fun. Even if you don't want to brew something, you can always sit around drinking homebrew and playing with yourself.

Burning a halfer? Taking a half day off or something? Or are you smoking a very, very large doobie? I personally wouldn't "worry" about the yeast dying in the Florida heat if they're out there for a few hours, but then again, I take every chance I can get some time off of work. The decision is yours my friend, but the yeast should be just fine!

Im so getting in trouble at work, I just busted up laughing. I clicked this link cause I figured you were trying to figure out if you should get stoned while your yeast come up to temp or something... sounded like a good topic to me!

Between this one, and the "wife screwing the lhbs owner" thread....

Good idea worm but this is about a 70 lb box. 70 lb seems to be the limit before they go to two boxes (which increases shipping) so I made my order ~69 lb.

I guess 'burnin' a halfer' is just a local phrase. Perhaps from surfers taking half-days off to surf (they're at the mercy of the weather conditions).

You should burn a halfer and blow the smoke on your yeasties - maybe they'll make better beer that way

Two pages in and I still don't know WTF "burning a halfer" is.

I think I'll check out the "LHBS and my wife are screwing on me" thread and check back later.

I first read this thread title as "Burnin a heffer..." and that made even less sense than the other activity it sounds like.

-Steve

I first read this thread title as "Burnin a heffer..." and that made even less sense than the other activity it sounds like.

-Steve

You and me both. Still not sure what "burning a halfer" is, but you roll it and I'll help him burn it.

Burning a halfer while surfing to wait out getting yeast off your front porch just sounds like a really bad idea.

Why not just take a half day from work to get your yeast and then go mow the lawn before it rains?

'Burnin' a halfer' is using a half-day of vacation.

Burning a halfer while surfing to wait out getting yeast off your front porch just sounds like a really bad idea.

Why not just take a half day from work to get your yeast and then go mow the lawn before it rains?
:D ^^^^This.

Right now I have a White Labs Budvar Lager yeast starter that has been going for about 36 hours and not a peep. So I think that vial may have been dead. This was an older vial but this is why I wanted to get it off the porch.

Back