Liquid yeast and shipping in hot weather.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nigel31

Reaction score
Hey All,

I'm awaiting delivery of some WLP002 (English Ale Yeast) presently that shipped Monday evening from Midwest Supplies (I'm in NJ). I paid for the ice-gel pack, but know that those--kind of a waste, really--only stay cool for a few hours when not in an insulated box.

It's been in the low 90s here, and I fear that my yeast will get here cooked...or just not viable.

Can anyone talk me off the ledge?

For what it's worth, I'll be refrigerating it as soon as I get it and will be doing a starter this evening with my new stir plate. Brew day's tomorrow, early afternoon.

THANKS, gang!
Nige

All you need to do is make a starter when you are ready to use it. The biggest reason I suggest folks make a starter is if you make one you'll have peace of mind.

And you won't be starting an "is my yeast dead" thread in a couple of days.:D

Making a starter first insures that your yeast is still alive and viable before you dump it in your beer. You will be less likely to start one of those "is my yeast dead?" threads that are on here every day.

You will also ensure that you have enough yeast usually the tubes and smack packs are a lot less yeast that you really should use for healthy fermentation.

Making a starter also usually means your beer will take off sooner, because the first thing that the little buggers do in the presence of wort (whether in a flask or in a fermenter) is have an orgy to reproduce enough cells to do the job...So it won't take such a long time in the fermenter since they started doing it in the flask.

Additionally it is better for the yeast to consume and reproduce incrementally rather than just dumping them into the fermenter...The yeast will be less stressed out than if you just dump them in.

Stressed out yeast can lead to a lot of off flavors...maybe even (though rare) the dreaded autolysis....Or the curse of 1.030....getting a stuck fermentation because the yeast have bit the dust.

So making a starter proves your yeast is still healthy, allows you to grow enough yeast to do the job, cuts down on lag time, and ensures that you will not get off flavors or stuck ferementations from stressed out yeast.

You yeast will be fine, especially with a starter. In extreme temperatures, some yeast cells will die but making a starter solves that problem by building the yeast count up. Now, step down off that ledge! :D

EDIT - Revvy beat me to it!

The gel packs will cool longer than a few hours. I've ordered from AHS and shipping took a few days but the pack was still cool (note, I said cool, not frozen) when I received the yeast. It was still very healthy and got my 1.110 wort down to 1.020 in about 5 days (with a starter, of course.)

I wouldn't worry unless your yeast tube is hot to the touch when you get it or something crazy like that.

Thanks, y'all.

I was really asking if the yeast would be dead when it arrives when being shipped for almost 5 days in the heat--that's all.

Just to address Revvy--thanks for the details--I did say that I was doing a starter (as I always do, for the record) and was even using a stir plate. I'm well aware of all the great things a starter does for yeast (and the finished product) and wouldn't think of doing a batch using liquid yeast without one. Just for the record, mate. Thanks for the reinforcement, all the same.

Cheers, and stepping off the ledge.
N

I doubt they will be dead.. not at 90 degrees or so. However, I wouldn't put them in the fridge.. just leave them at room temperature, since you are brewing the next day... last thing they need is the confusion of the temps going up and down and back up. Be aware there is a good chance that there will be some significant gassing off as you open the tube.. so be prepared and open slowly so as not to lose any precious yest.

I got a kit from them a couple weeks ago. Its been mid 70s here, the package took 3 or 4 days but the yeast pack was still cool. I didn't even get a cooling pack with it.

Thanks, all, for your valued input. Malintent had a good idea--unless, of course, this was done with malintent!--to not chill them too much. Does make sense. My flat's cool enough (~70F with the A/C on), so the tube sitting on the counter should warm them up gently enough 'til I pitch them into my starter.

I feel much better now.

Just had this problem, ordered WLP820 for an Oktoberfest from Midwest, paid for the "deluxe" icepack/foil envelope. Two days delay in a FedEx warehouse, 100 degree temps, when the package arrived the vial was very warm - almost hot - to the touch. I thought it was certainly dead; but got on this forum and did exactly what was recommended by Revvy: Immediately pitched it into a 1.5L starter. The yeast took off like crazy. I pitched the starter into the O'fest wort and saw action in four hours. It has been happily bubbling away now for five days.

Keep the faith, get the yeasties growing in a starter to prove their viability, and of course Relax, Don't Worry, and Have . .. .

going to revive this old post... please forgive me. thought it was better than starting a new one. :)

so here's my situation:
I ordered two packs of Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat blend last week from HomeBrewSupply.com. They shipped Friday (with the ice pack) and were delivered Monday (yesterday). I got home around 5 pm, ripped apart the box, and the yeast packs were hot to the touch. Probably sitting in a hot USPS jeep all day. I shoved a thermometer between the two and it read 80*. Could be worse, but definitely way higher than I was hoping for... I had them in the fridge w/in 5 minutes of opening the package.

so I know that when I make my starter it will be obvious if it's a total lost cause, but maybe someone else has had a similar situation and can share their personal experience? Is it even worth it to purchase yeast online, if you live in a hot climate?

going to revive this old post... please forgive me. thought it was better than starting a new one. :)

so here's my situation:
I ordered two packs of Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat blend last week from HomeBrewSupply.com. They shipped Friday (with the ice pack) and were delivered Monday (yesterday). I got home around 5 pm, ripped apart the box, and the yeast packs were hot to the touch. Probably sitting in a hot USPS jeep all day. I shoved a thermometer between the two and it read 80*. Could be worse, but definitely way higher than I was hoping for... I had them in the fridge w/in 5 minutes of opening the package.

so I know that when I make my starter it will be obvious if it's a total lost cause, but maybe someone else has had a similar situation and can share their personal experience? Is it even worth it to purchase yeast online, if you live in a hot climate?

You are more than likely going to be just fine. 80* probably wont kill your yeast. Smack the nutrient pack wait about 4-5 hour and dump it in your starter and go from there. Summer time is a good time to use dry unless you can get liquid from your LHBS.

Just my .02

Cheers
Jay

You are more than likely going to be just fine. 80* probably wont kill your yeast. Smack the nutrient pack wait about 4-5 hour and dump it in your starter and go from there. Summer time is a good time to use dry unless you can get liquid from your LHBS.

Just my .02

Cheers
Jay

Thanks Jaybird. I can get liquid yeast from my LHBS, but not this Bavarian Wheat blend, which I really want to try.

When I read that the yeast would be shipped with an ice pack, I assumed that it would be sent in a small styrofoam package for insulation, but it was only wrapped in bubble wrap. In this case (shipping from TX to SoCal), I think the ice pack actually kept the yeast warmer than it would have been without... the ice pack felt hotter than the yeast packets did.

Update: Made my starters last night, pitched around 10 pm and put into the fermentation chamber at 65*. checked this morning, no activity. Checked after work (just now), no activity. I think my yeast is dead...

Back