updated books, latest information

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
In another thread, I pointed out that I thought that 5.4 was supposed to be closer to the correct mashing pH than 5.2 (in the 5.2 stabilizer thread) and it was pointed out that the latest thinking probably puts it more at 5.2.

And lately I've been rereading my old brew books to refresh my memory. And I was looking at the copyright dates. Some of these are pretty old. For instance, the few books I brought to the sea with me: An Analysis of Brewing Techniques by George Fix, is from 1997, Principles of Brewing Science by Fix is from 1989, The Homebrewer's Companion that I have (Papazian) is from 1994, and New Brewing Lager Beer by Noonan, is from 1996. Also have Dave Miller's book back home, but that's gotta be from 1999 or something.

Also been reading and referring to John Palmer's How to Brew website. But I was told that even this was out of date with reference to mash pH.

So, what I'm asking is, what are the latest books that are good, solid references?

I'd say you already have them. Short of a new edition of Palmer's book, I think many brewer's just start with a book, and then 'tweak' from their for their own system and water parameters and just learn from that experience.

But your point is valid and is the reason so many people turn to the net for info vs. potentially outdated books.

ebooks and readers are very likely the wave of the future as far as I can see. I want an ereading device but i'm waiting for some industry standardization (and Palmer's book) to hit first.

Cool, thanks.

Reading this forum has done a pretty good job of getting me up to date. And there are some new guys around now like Palmer and Jamil who weren't around when I was brewing long ago. And those guys put out some useful info. As do a lot of people on this forum. Thanks everyone.

Back