Visual difference between Lager and Ale Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foreigner

Reaction score
Ok. Call me crazy. I've used both lager and ale yeast many times before but my most recent batch has one brew with ale yeast and one with lager yeast. The difference in the activity in the 2 worts is very interesting...It almost looks like the lager yeast are working in tandem to create a cohesive submerged whirlpool...

The ale is more violent but also more chaotic, like constant turbulence in every direction. Anyone ever noticed "co-operation" among their lager yeast?

I only noticed this because they are bubbling side by side right now...

I think its interesting at least...

Again, call me crazy ;) :mug:

well, ale is top fermenting, lager is bottom fermenting...so it makes sense that they'd look different in a glass carboy to some degree.

malkore said:
well, ale is top fermenting, lager is bottom fermenting...so it makes sense that they'd look different in a glass carboy to some degree.

Well of course those are the general characteristics...but that's not *quite* what I was getting at...Choas is chaos either from the top or the bottom...

Co-operation vs competition...thats more my point.

Back