What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nursed two Pulseners up to diacetyl rest temp. Looked in on a S Hop Chinook APA that should finish secondary in a week or so.

Added 12 ounces of dry hops to a big IIPA lady night. Used Lemondrop, Columbia, Denali, Calypso, and Cascade.

Primed and bottled 2.5 gallons of MOM Beer smells and tastes really good.

image.jpg

Just mashed in a Blonde. Took a hydro sample of a SMaSH. It's ready to keg. Which makes room for the Blonde in that fermenter.

Picked up my 50 lb sack of 2-row, some various specialty grains and hops. Now I can brew on a whim without schlepping over an hour round trip to the LHBS.

Bottled my first homebrew beer! Learned that a jive ass wing capper doesn't get along well with Stella bottles. Room temp and just residual CO2 but still tasted great! I see kegging in my near future...

Racked 5 gallons of Hefeweizen on top of 3# of blood orange puree. Also marked .25gal graduations on a carboy, and took my new mash tun out of the truck finally.

Thought about how I gotta get this chocolate milk stout out of the primary after 5 weeks and into a keg. Then didn't. Maybe tomorrow!?

Thought about how I gotta get this chocolate milk stout out of the primary after 5 weeks and into a keg. Then didn't. Maybe tomorrow!?

Man do I know the feeling my brightest down fall as far as brewing Is that I'm lazy as **** I have a mash tun full of grains that's been sitting for almost a week I've been needing to clean my empty keg and lines for like 3 week ugh I suck as a HOMEBREWER

Screwed up a test mash for Saturday's brew. I added:

10% of the water
10% of the grain
10% of the salt additions AAAAAAND

100% of the acid. Mash pH was a tad lower than predicted. Just a tad.

Boy that should be ripe by now. :eek:

I'd be afraid to open it up. :D

Ooooh yeah it's gonna be a chore getting rid of those grains. I may just go out to the farthest part of the back yard and dig a hole and burry those suckers.

Drilled my new Concord 15 gallon kettle for a ball valve, and drilled my former Bayou 10(to the very top...) gallon boil kettle for a thermometer. Those Concord kettles are some tough stainless! I killed 3 bits getting a pilot hole drilled! And yes I went slow and used oil! Twice it grabbed and the bits snapped, third bit lost its edge... in contrast the Bayou kettle drilled like butter... Now I can handle some 10gallon lower gravity batches!

I'm entering my first "competition" which is really a taster rated "beauty pageant" kind of competition. Its for the 1st anniversary of a local craft beer bar, Southern Brewed (Columbia, SC).

I cold crashed a kegged SMaSH a few days ago and gelatin fined and put it on gas to slow carb today

Continued training my two buds, it was their second time...we brewed up 30 gallons.
Both of them are OCD...I answered more questions then Wikipedia today. :smack: I'm all wore out. But the camaraderie was good. :)

DSCF9181.jpg

DSCF9180.jpg

DSCF9174.jpg

Transferred a Wit from a 5G to a 2.5G keg to make room (freakin' finally) for a 6 week old Choco Milk Stout. Got the stout in the keg and cold conditioning. Tasted good. 1023... Seems a little high; lactose I suppose. This is going on Nitro.

Went to local dollar store to get filter bucket for new mash tun and they had one that fit it perfectly!
Crushed 38lbs of grains with my cheap ass grain mill (1.5 hours), everything went wrong....
Found I left my brew kettle dirty from last brew session.
Broke a carboy during sanitation.
Put off brewing till Monday (Staying home from work--or lack there of--to finish)
Dreading looking in the freezer for the correct hops, I sure hope they are there...

First got the homemade glycol chiller running again. Leak checked the new fermentor. Since its in an uncooled garage thought i would run a week long test to see how the temps hold. View attachment 358357View attachment 358358View attachment 358359View attachment 358360View attachment 358361
Then had a heif in the rain
View attachment 358363

That's a pretty sweet set up man I'm
Hoping to set something up like that in a few months. Only difference is that I'll be turning my current ferm chamber chest freezer into my glycol reserve.

Today I bottled 5 gallons of Cream of Three Crops.
Then I went out and picked up supplies to make a new stir plate.

Bottled 5 gallons of a sour brown that I brewed 16 months ago was on cranberrirs and cherries past 3 months. Also made a starter of Wyeast 3726 for a farmhouse ale I'm brewing Wednesday morning.

transferred 6.8 gallons of Bavarian Hefe from my chronical to my bottling bucket..Kegging and bottling tonight !!

Got bottles, caps, bottle tree and vinator. Hopefully bottling my Blood Orange Hefe this weekend. Still getting a bubble about every 25 seconds in the airlock. Gravity at 1.012 yesterday, so I am going to check again tomorrow or Thursday.

Yesterday I washed bottles and made 2.5 gals of wort... It got sort of late so I let it cool overnight covered on the stovetop. This AM I poured it on top of a yeast cake in the Carboy from the MOM I bottled last week. First time making beer this way "pitched" at 9:00 AM and it is chugging away now.

Feels like I got a lot done today.

Put together my new stir plate.
Got a 1500ml starter going for the stout I am brewing soon.
Started some vanilla beans and oak chips soaking in burboun that I need in a few weeks.

It was a good day.

Latest posts

Back