Threw away my first batch today - ever!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starderup

Reaction score
I used some captured Kellerweis yeast on a batch of German Wheat. Brewed on Sunday. Went perfect.
The yeast seemed to be extremely active. I was actually surprised when it was not bubbling within an hour.
Went to a family picnic, and got home, and very little activity.
Never got any airlock activity or krausen. Really weird, since this yeast was going ballistic before I pitched it.
Yes, I know. RDWHAHB. Been there.
Next day, nothing. More than 24 hours. Pitched a packet of Nottingham trying to save it. I already smelled some off aroma, (not good), but thought I could save it.
Anyway, long story short, I took the lid off again today, and saw some stringy, bad looking stuff. Checked the gravity. 1.010. Something ate the sugar, but not what I wanted.
Bad smell, too. I even went as far as trying a little from below the surface taken with a turkey baster.
Bad.
Really bad. Toilet bad.
So, it's gone. $12 down the drain. My only concern now is that whatever was in there is gone.
Dumped everything. New sanitizer on everything.
"Ripley: I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. "
I'm gonna be sure.

Hey, lifes too short to drink crappy beer, even if we make it. We can make better.

I might have one for the sewer gods brewing now, but am going to wait it out.
If I have to toss it, so be it. I won't cry.

It could have been infected but I would have let it run. I had things that looked like snot strings hanging down from the surface of my carboy and bottled it anyway for kicks. People enjoyed it so whatever it was, it turned out OK. I've learned not to judge off of smell either, because fermenting by nature is a smelly process.

What did it taste like?

It had a sour smell/taste, and I couldn't really stand more than a sip. I couldn't imagine anyone liking it. There was definitely alcohol in it, but it wasn't worth any more effort than dumping it.
I knew there was a problem when it didn't take off quickly, and the bubbles coming off the airlock were closer to onions than the typical yeasty, bready smell.
Oh, well, live and learn.

Back