Hello from Korea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leisure Master

Reaction score
Hello everyone... just thought I would say hello and introduce myself. My names Tyson and I'm a Teacher here in South Korea... and I'm about to get ready to brew my first batch of beer.

I remember when I was a kid spending time with my Father helping him brew beer and wine... and I guess those good memories are fueling the fire to get into this interesting hobby. That... and Korean beer is not really to my preference.

Anyways... I'll be posting and reading along as time goes.

Thanks,

T

:rockin:

Looks like he is in Taegu.

Welcome aboard, t-bone!

I spent 2 years in Korea, loved it. Would go back in a minute--but certainly not for the beer! OB, C-ASS, (S)hite, no thanks!

Yuri brewed a porter while he was there not too long ago. We should resurrect the thread, that was awesome following that.

Good to have ya!

Hi guys... thanks for all the feedback.

Orfy... 30,000 won could roughly be translated as $30 US Dollars.

Yuri... I'm in Daegu... been here for about 2 1/2 years... and not sure if I'll be moving in the near future or not. I'm hoping to integrate myself into a University teaching position... but not sure where that job may be.

Homebrewer99... thanks for the offer! I'll let you know... off the top of my head I think I could use a bottle sanitizer gadget. You know those things that you put the sanitizer solution into and then you put the bottle over it and give it a few pumps. I could use one... but can't seem to find one here in Korea. Are you going to be stationed at Camp Walker in Nam-gu? I come up that way at least 3 times a week for Aikido class.

I have to agree with the Dude... OB/BO... Cass/Ass... Hite/****e... they all don't have that much going for them. They now have a beer called Cass Red thats 6.9% and will give you the most terrible headache known to man. That with some soju and your a complete write off the next day! :)

I'm in Seoul myself.

Two other homebrew websites in Korea are:
www.housebeer.co.kr (best selection of dried yeast and has some extract on sale)
http://www.bluebrewlab.com/mall-equipment/m_mall_list.php?ps_ctid=08000000 (mostly large sclae stuff but has some small scale stuff as well)

Also I've used the rice malt syrup that they have in grocery stores for adjunct and it works fairly well for that.

What has served me VERY well is getting one of the massive plastic kimchi buckets. I fill it up with water and float my fermenter in it in order to keep the temperature stable.

Also for beer that's better than Ass/****e/SOB look for a Chinese market, they have Tsingtao and Five Star beer which aren't great but are a hell of a lot better than the Korean stuff. Also the new Korean Max beer is better than the others (not that that's saying much).

Welcome!! I'm getting deployed to korea in a couple months. Been wondering how I could brew there

tboneindaegu said:
Hi guys... thanks for all the feedback.

Orfy... 30,000 won could roughly be translated as $30 US Dollars.

Yuri... I'm in Daegu... been here for about 2 1/2 years... and not sure if I'll be moving in the near future or not. I'm hoping to integrate myself into a University teaching position... but not sure where that job may be.

Homebrewer99... thanks for the offer! I'll let you know... off the top of my head I think I could use a bottle sanitizer gadget. You know those things that you put the sanitizer solution into and then you put the bottle over it and give it a few pumps. I could use one... but can't seem to find one here in Korea. Are you going to be stationed at Camp Walker in Nam-gu? I come up that way at least 3 times a week for Aikido class.

I have to agree with the Dude... OB/BO... Cass/Ass... Hite/****e... they all don't have that much going for them. They now have a beer called Cass Red thats 6.9% and will give you the most terrible headache known to man. That with some soju and your a complete write off the next day! :)
No, I'm only coming over for 2 weeks to teach the M109A6 Paladin to some LARs and soldiers. I really don't know where the training will be taking place yet, but "down south" was mentioned. I was in Taegu 2 years ago for a week. That was my introduction to dongdong-ju. Can you locate a recipe?

Bottle Sanitizer, sure, should be no problem. I use one myself and really like using it. I'd recommend using Iodophor instead of Star San because there's too many bubbles with SS.

I should know where I'll be going before leaving here..hell, my Theater Clearance form isn't even submitted because they can't tell me where I'm going and that's supposed to be turned in at 90 days prior and I'm under 30 now...then one of my passports expires in Jan 08 and I need a new Korean Visa (only good for 1 year, last one's expired) so they made me apply for a new Official passport the other day. They hope they can get it in 3 weeks. I really don't want to use my personal passport for the trip.

Welcome Tbone! I am just finishing up my TOEFL and then my girlfriend and I will be heading over to join you out there! Thank you for the supplies link I was afraid that I would have to leave my brewery in a friends hands, and lord knows what he would do with it.... :)

Back