Over carbonated bottle conditioned stout. Fix it with growlers??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TPD2245

Reaction score
I have a stout that I bottled about a month ago. I've sampled a few bottles and it is very, very carbonated. I have to pour half of it in a glass, let it settle, then pour the rest. It tastes pretty good, but that's not the point. I want to be able to share this with people, but don't want them to see the over carbonation issues. The only solution I could think of was transfer to growlers. I have a bunch of empty growlers. I was thinking of pouring about 5 bottles into each growler and seeing if that will scale back some of the carbonation issues I'm having. Anyone every try this or have any better ideas?

Put them in the fridge and get them as cold as possible. Then doing like a six pack or more at a time pop the caps just enough to let CO2 escape. Let them go for about 3 hours at room temp or longer if you leave them in the fridge. Then when they're done pry the cap off all the way and recap the beer. You might want to give one a try and be sure to time it and take note on ambient temp, then you can do the same for the rest of them.

Late to this, but had the same issue with a stout. Tried uncapping and letting set for a bit, found the time was quite long, so I tried the growler route. Have to let the bottles settle or you just get foam in the growler, but once in and refrigerated, it comes out as it should.

Annoyed at the overcarbing as I used the amount indicated in Beersmith. Guess it is better to undercarb than over!

One of the possible reasons for overcarbonation was that the beer wasn't finished fermenting. I had an issue with SO4 once where I thought it was done, had stable gravity but because of how hard it flocculates when I racked it that kicked the yeast back up just a smidge. So when I carbed for 2 volumes or so I got more like 3-3.5 volumes. It seems to be a common issue with some english strains.

Back