Multiple Yeast Additions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else had considered multiple yeast additions, and what the possible pros and cons might be. For example, I was wondering what, if any, would be the benefits to additional yeast added as racking to the secondary and/or before bottling. Obviously before bottling would be a small addition as to not cause bottle explosions. But adding fresh yeast to the secondary would increase attenuation, right? Is this a good practice?

People use secondaries for clearing the beer rather than fermenting. For all intents the beer should be done ferementing before going to a second vessel.
There also should be enough suspended yeast for bottling under most circumstances.

Adding yeast for bottling won't hurt your beer or create bottle bombs. Too may fermentable sugars in the beer at bottling time creates bottle bombs.

I haven't done it yet but I am planning to brew a 1.10 OG Belgium Strong in a month or so and am planning to add yeast at bottling. From what I have seen and read it looks like the high gravity beers -especially if you have a long secondary or cold crash will condition much better with a yeast addition at bottling. I do agree with the mantra on this site that it is not necessary but am thinking I will get a better product for the cost/effort of a little extra yeast.

Just because you add a second yeast doesn't mean they're going to start fermenting. In most cases, the primary yeast will have consumed all the fermentable sugars. Maaaaaybe in a few cases (really high gravity beers) your second yeast will be able to scavenge some extra sugars, but that's only if they're really healthy when pitched.

Lots of belgian beers have multiple yeasts added, or the same yeast added multiple times, and then use a neutral ale yeast to bottle. Not as out of the ordinary as you'd think.

As a homebrewer I don't see alot of value using multiple yeasts, unless it's adding something like bret for longer aging.

Back