upgrading system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksh

Reaction score
i want to upgrade my current brewing system and i need some advice.
my current system includes a 25l HLT, 50l BK, 48q coleman cooler, march pump and a shirron plate chiller.i have an old 3/8 immersion chiller and a kettle false bottom i never used.
I read a little about HERMS and wondered if its worth the effort and if anyone could explain me how to do it with my current system .
I would appreciate any advice/links .
here is a picture of my current system:

resize1.jpg

resiz2.jpg

resize3.jpg

If you put some different hoses (high temp) on the immersion chiller you can stick that in your HLT and use the pump to recirculate the mash through the chiller. You will want to create some sort of agitiation in the HLT -I don't have one but this looks like a great option for just moving hot water around in the HLT https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/cheap-compact-wort-pump-375904/. This will also require manual temp monitoring or building a control box/panel to cut the heat and pump on/off when necessary to maintain the mash temp. How much are you looking to spend? Things add up quickly :)

I would also search the forum for "Direct Fire Herms"

Thanks for the reply.just trying to figure out the process .Do you make an infusion mash and start recirculating the wort through the coil?
I think i will invest about two hundred dollars (maybe a bit more)

Back