Should I add to my Starter before I brew tomorrow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SW Brewer

Reaction score
I made a yeast starter using a 1/2 cup DME and two cups of water. The yeast appears to have settled out and is done for now. Should I add more DME solution to the starter to keep it going for tomorrow's brew session or just leave it alone?

Greg

I wouldn't add more. You could give it a swirl to re-suspend the yeast, or put it in the fridge if you plan to decant the spent wort.

Or, now that I think about it, you could add more. What kind of beer is it? If it is a big beer then go ahead and step it up.

When I make a starter early I put it in the fridge so the yeast settles and then pour off the liquid. I would not add to it at this time. I have taken some of the wort and cooled it, add it to the starter to rouse those beggars before pitching. You might consider that. Happy brewing.

Thanks fellas. I will resuspend the yeast before I start brewing and see how it looks before adding more wort to it. I made this on Friday night, so its not too old, but I want it to be chugging along when it is pitched.

This is going into a medium bodies IPA btw.

Greg

Back